First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)

Decorating By maria_stoff Updated 6 Oct 2018 , 11:19pm by SandraSmiley

maria_stoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria_stoff Posted 1 Oct 2018 , 8:50am
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone!

I've been having a good old look through loads of older posts and I must admit the 'Post your worst cake' post really tickled me. It got me thinking, can I see your first cakes and where you are now? I've been decorating for two years and have been thinking it's so lovely to see peoples progress so thought I'd ask on here to see your amazing creations :) Here's my first cake and my most recent cake. I'm not sure if cake central are letting me reply yet as I'm still fairly new so please don't think I'm ignoring you!

Maria x 

First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)

20 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Oct 2018 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 21

Your first cake is as cute as can be, but the second one is truly stunning.  Gorgeous piping!

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Oct 2018 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 21

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 12:44am
post #4 of 21

First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 12:46am
post #5 of 21

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 12:49am
post #6 of 21

My very first cake was 2 years ago (March 2016) for my oldest daughter's 8th birthday (top pic), then my 2nd cake was less than a month later (April 2016) for my youngest daughter's 5th birthday (my little pony). This pastel drip cake is my most recent pic, but I have better ones in my album in my opinion. lol. I've come a long ways! Every year I try to top my kids cakes from the year prior. They absolutely love that I do their cakes, and I am very thankful I am able to. 

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 3:00am
post #7 of 21

Gigglebox2014, all three of these cakes are wonderful, but I admit to being in love with the drip cake topped with the ice-cream cone.  You did such a perfect job on the My Little Pony cake, too!  You are a quick learner!

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 8:49am
post #8 of 21

Thanks lady! 

I ended up being one cake board short on the My Little Pony cake and it was too late to run to town when I noticed. I used a paper plate cut to the size needed and that literally held the top two tiers up. Which is why the pink tier appears to be leaning on the right side. Eeeek. Not something I would do on a cake for anyone else, but I was confident it would hold up long enough to serve at the party, which it did. Could have easily been a disaster. Sometimes I wished I lived closer to Walmart so when something happens it would be an hour trip. lol. Live and learn. Now I have everything down to a science and I write EVERYTHING down from boards to boxes ect. 

SandraSmiley Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 21

I would never have picked up on the slight tilt, Gigglebox 2014.  I make my own cake boards all the time out of left over, light weight cardboard.  I cut out a circle the size I need, wrap and seal it in a couple of thicknesses of wax paper, then a third layer of aluminum foil.  Works great for emergencies.

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 21

This is my submission to fist and latest.  It is my first, but not my latest...one of my favs though!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Oct 2018 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 21

Not my 1st nor the last but close. I lost many of my oldest pix when my EX deleted them before he left me.   This was one I made within the 1st year of my decorating:  https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1369704/double-hearts  and these are some of my favorites many, many years later:  https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/84663/romantic-wedding-shower-design      https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2105011/birdfeeder

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2018 , 1:07am
post #12 of 21

What stunning work, MrsMac888!  Both cakes are beautiful.  I so have piping envy!

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2018 , 1:10am
post #13 of 21

Awww, Lynne, you started out like a pro!  Again, I have piping envy!  I love the heart cake, so beautiful, and the bird feeder cake just makes me happy!  What a wonderful subject and you do a fabulous job!

Nanas.sweet.treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 5 Oct 2018 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 21

This is my first, May 2018. I decided to make my daughters baby shower cake because I didnt want to pay $150 for it. The last one (september 2018) would have been prettier  but the lady requested whipped topping on the top tier, and it was my first time working with whipped topping. Ive not been doing cakes long and I still have alot to learn. First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 5 Oct 2018 , 8:27pm
post #15 of 21

This is my first, May 2018. I decided to make my daughters baby shower cake because I didnt want to pay $150 for it. The last one (september 2018) would have been prettier  but the lady requested whipped topping on the top tier, and it was my first time working with whipped topping. Ive not been doing cakes long and I still have alot to learn. First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)First And Most Recent Cakes. Can I See Yours? :)

SandraSmiley Posted 5 Oct 2018 , 10:53pm
post #16 of 21

You are a natural, Nanas.sweet.treats!  Your first cake is gorgeous and so is your last.  My advise regarding using whipped topping as frosting, just say NO.

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 3:46pm
post #17 of 21

I personally do not like whipped cream topping on cakes but I think that Italian meringue buttercream is a good alternative. 

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 3:47pm
post #18 of 21

And thank you!!

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 6:01pm
post #19 of 21

I may have misunderstood you, Nanas.sweet.treats.  I thought they had ask you to use something like Cool Whip or Dream Whip, not stablized whipped cream.  The real whipped cream, I can deal with, the other stuff, not so much, haha!

Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 21

SandraSmiley. Oh no! It was stabilized Whipped topping, but either way, I do not like working with it. However I do not understand why the fondant decorations on the front and around the bottom of the top tier did not melt at all, while the gum paste poodle on top did

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 11:19pm
post #21 of 21

You got me!  Gum paste is generally more stable than fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%