Ever Get Any Complaints About Using A Box Mix?

Business By HajraK Updated 28 Sep 2018 , 9:38pm by kakeladi

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 1:29am
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone,

I know there are lots of threads dedicated to using a box mix vs scratch baking, but I’m curious - have any of you ever received complaints from customers about using box mixes (if that’s what you use).

also, if you use box mixes, do customers ever question why your cakes, cupcakes, whatever product has so many ingredients on the label? (Bc you used a mix and have to lost all ingnredients).

most of my orders just so happen to be items made from scratch, but there is one item I’ve been making a lot as gifts, to take to dinners etc and it’s made from a mix and now I’m getting worried about how people will react once they want to order it and see a ton of ingredients on a label.

i don’t get as many orders as I would like to, and I’m worried using a mix will really turn people away.

thoughts?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

I doubt many people will ever give it a thought.  My mother was a wonderful baker, so I grew up eating scratch cakes, consequently, I prefer scratch cakes.  Much to my surprise, I've found out that most people grew up eating cakes made from a mix and that is their preference.  A doctored cake mix is the perfect solution because it has many of the qualities of a mix, but tastes a whole lot better.

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 3:29am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your response SandraSmiley! Yes I only use the cake mixes when I’m completely doctoring them to make something else and no one can ever tell it started from a mix. There are some things I make and have both a scratch and non scratch recipe, but others I feel like the cake mix is best for stability and reliability, particularly since I moved to a high altitude city. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 3:35am
post #4 of 6

I absolutely agree.  I started using doctored cake mixes for their stability and sturdiness.  Actually, I like the just as well as scratch cakes.  I just like cake, lol!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 6

use a mix with less ingredients

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 6

Well in my state(s - I lived in two) we didn't have to put ingredient lists on our cakes so there would be no ?ing about that.  No I cannot remember anyone ever complaining to my face.   Yes, I had people who came for consults and didn't ever order.....but was it because of using a mix?  I doubt that.  As Sandra said, what people like most likely was what they grew up with.....be cake mix, type of meats eaten etc.   I did have a couple who said they knew I used mixes and "they could never make a cake as good as mine"!  So I never worried - if they didn't want to order from me.....so be it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%