In Desperate Need Of Chocolate Cake Recipe. Please Help!

Baking By dream_cakes15 Updated 28 Sep 2018 , 9:55pm by SandraSmiley

dream_cakes15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream_cakes15 Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 2:25am
post #1 of 11

I need to make a Unicorn cake for my niece. It’s gonna be a 3 layer chocolate cake covered in fondant. When I make chocolate cake I usually use a doctored cake mix recipe because we love how it tasted

1 box devils food

1 box pudding 

1 cup milk 

1 cup oil 

4 eggs 

So I did a practice run on it I baked and crumb coated 3 layers (2” in height each) and left it out over night. The next day I noticed it shrank! A LOT! It went from 6” tall to a little under 5”.

So I decided  to look for a new recipe. After searching for a while. I decided I wanted to try MacsMom’s chocolate cake recipe since it had a lot of good reviews.  I just got done spending the whole day baking it and unfortunately it is waaaay too moist. I could barely move it around without breaking to pieces. I was soooo bummed because it tasted super yummy!!!

So if anyone has a sturdy (but yummy of course) chocolate cake recipe they’d like to share with me that would hold up well under fondant. Please please let me know!!! Thank you!

10 replies
cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 3:16am
post #2 of 11

If you want to try a scratch recipe, I've recently switched over to Preppy Kitchen's recipe:  https://preppykitchen.com/wprm_print/4439

I have not tried it with fondant but it is a sturdy cake and I think it would hold up. You could always email John who posts Preppy Kitchen he responds pretty quickly about it holding up under fondant.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 3:24am
post #3 of 11

kakeladi's *Original* WASC recipe, chocolate version (which is also a doctored cake mix), is delicious and sturdy.  It is on this site in Recipes.

dream_cakes15 Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 4:33am
post #4 of 11

Thanks @cheriej I’ll try to send a message. 

dream_cakes15 Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 4:34am
post #5 of 11

Thanks @sandrasmiley for some reason I can’t find it. Do you mind posting it for me?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 11

I am a big fan of Yolanda Gampps Ultimate Chocolate Cake.  I do sub hot coffee in place of the hot water because I find that it really helps to bring out the chocolate flavor.  It is a moist yet sturdy cake.

https://howtocakeit.com/blogs/cakes/38284161-yos-ultimate-chocolate-cake-recipe

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 11

Here is the recipe to which I was referring.  To make a chocolate cake, I use Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix ( add an extra 1/2 cup of cake mix from a second box to compensate for the reduced size of the mixes - this step is not necessary, but makes a slightly more sturdy cake), substitute a cup of coffee for the water, add 1/3 cup of Hersey's Cocoa (powder), 1 package of instant chocolate pudding, and 1 teaspoon chocolate extract.  Everything else remains the same.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2018 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, that recipe  you posted sure has a TON! of oil in it......no wonder it shrank :(  I do hope you try the WASC recipe....it is easy to make, tastes wonderufl and won't shrink on you.  Using the coffee in a choco cake is right:)  There really is no need to add a box of pudding but the 1/2 cup of cocoa powder in place of the extra cake mix is a good choice. 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 12:59am
post #9 of 11

Lynne, I also add an envelope of hot chocolate mix.  The cocoa, pudding, coffee, hot chocolate mix, and chocolate extract just add many layers of chocolate goodness, but are not necessary.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 11

Hot choco mix and pudding adds more sugar - if one chooses to use them I suggest reducing the sugar down to about 2/3 cup.

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Sep 2018 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 11

Lynne, I thought you said you liked sweet, lol!  I don't reduce the sugar and I think it is delicious.  Of course, I like sweet, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%