What Should I Do With This Client?! Please Help!!

Business By HudaM Updated 23 Sep 2018 , 2:30pm by SandraSmiley

HudaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HudaM Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 5:34am
post #1 of 2

Just a disclaimer, I live in Toronto, Canada, the most expensive city of Canada aside from Vancouver. Which means, things are expensive here. Sorry for a long Story haha, sit tight, but please help me. 

I had a client who messaged me 14 days before her wedding at 3:40am at night for a cake inquiry, as it was so late I decided to reply in the morning but she messaged again in an annoyed tone "Heyyy??!!" as If I was ignoring her at a normal human awakening time. I apologized and told her that we would talk tomorrow as rn its too late and gave her a time of 11am. 11am came and she told me that she wanted a cake for 100 guests with a design she provided herself, the picture had a large satin ribbon and big broach. I told her that I would make a 3 tier cake, 12" 9" 6", She wanted the cake to not "melt" and so wanted it in fondant this would've have been about $500 once I gave her my sketch with the added cake topper. But before I quoted her I asked if she was going to serve other desserts with the cake and she said yes, there would be one. I also let her know that buttercream will not melt as long as there is air conditioning in the venue and she confirmed that there was. I also  told her that another dessert mean that there would be people that will not want it therefore its best for you if you want a smaller cake and therefore although still 3 tier, it would be smaller. I gave the size and serving amounts to her and in the mean time she gave me another inspiration picture and asked for a sketch so I did once again, and then she asked for a quote, which was an approximate of $400. She said her budget was $200..... and that she's decided to not serve the cake but instead only have it there for cutting purposes. So I said cool, I can make a 10" cake for you and fake layer on top and I gave her a sketch of how the smaller cake would look like. This time she wanted a topper with bride and groom plus fresh flowers plus green color that was her dress color. I gave her a quote of $170. She said okay to and I told her to confirm her order she needed to send me 50% deposit and once ive confirmed it I would begin making it. She asked if it was ok to send the evening of that same day and I said sure/tomorrow works too. Evening comes and goes, no deposit. tomorrow comes and goes, no deposit.  I asked her if she could send me a picture of her dress again against a white background so I could get a proper colors and so I could maybe put elements of the dress into the cake. She did not have her dress available and this time so i just remind her to send the deposit as the wedding day was approaching and I needed to Buy ingredients. For a few hours my phone had been dead and I had forgotten to charge so I got an email at 12:40am saying that she wanted a design change and have just 1 heart shaped cake with flowers and topper and fondant covered with another picture providing the inspo, she also apologized for replying so late and that she would send the deposit immediately. I replied to her immediately and said I would need to give her another quote. Next noon I gave her the quote of $120 (serving 38 people without the cost of fondant), I reminded her for the deposit again bc now there is 9 days left to the wedding. and she messaged "please lets go with $100". So this time I said asked her if she could do $110 as quality was something I rarely compromised in, and $120 was already my lowest but for her I could do  bridal discount to $110. Its been 2 days and Ive gotten no reply from her just a notification that shes opened the message. There are 6 days to her wedding and I have no Idea what I should do. SHould I swallow my pride and tell her $100 is okay (ill be making $40 after the cost of cake which is not enough for the amount of time it will take me to make it). Or should I just wait until she messages me. 

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Sep 2018 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%