Stacked Cakes With A Liquid Center

Baking By YBaker0212 Updated 17 Sep 2018 , 5:41pm by -K8memphis

YBaker0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YBaker0212 Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 8:23am
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone,

I am new to cake central so apologise if this post is not allowed.

I have been asked to make a 2 tier wedding cake with a molten chocolate center for both cakes - tier sizes are 14" and 10". The cakes will be covered in chocolate ganache and decorated with chocolates. Groom doesn't like buttercream, fondant or any other type of filling. I've only ever made single serving molten center cakes, which are served immediately so the center is still warm. I'm not sure if a large stacked cake can cope with the weight of a molten center. Also, how do I make the liquid center remain liquid if it is cold? 

Thanks

Yvette

6 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 9:48am
post #2 of 7

In all of the recipes I have ever seen for the molten chocolate cakes... they have been individual and served warm as well...

I would imagine a large one wouldn't be easy to handle either, since if it cracks, it would leak...

I would also imagine if it cooled or was chilled, that molten center wouldn't be molten anymore... the little one's centers firm up when they are cooled off / chilled...

Sometimes we just have to tell our customers that it isn't in the realm of possibility...

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 7

I don’t think this will work. Molten middle cakes have to be small, individual servings or they will collapse. And they have to be served freshly baked and warm or else the middle sets. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 7

Molten chocolate cakes need to be served still warm so a two tiered cake of this kind just is not feasible.  It is okay to tell people that something will not work.  Why not just recommend a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling/frosting?  If they really want molten cakes as the dessert then they need to speak with the caterer.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 7

the pillsbury bake-off winner one year long ago was a bundt cake type molten lava -- i tried it and it didn't work -- like the others, i make individual ones -- you would really be going where fools fear to tread -- they are asking for too much -- they have no clue about what could make a viable tier cake so you need to instruct them -- lover boy can remove the fondant or not eat the buttercream like he always does when these types of cakes are served to him --

but yes ganache and whipped ganache would work -- but he needs to know in advance whipped ganache comes out like a delicious rich buttercream -- and you could have a hot fudge filling that could be dolloped on each serving -- these people are chocolate fountain types but they are so messy and need their own security guard on duty at all times --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 7

Ditto what everyone has already said, more than likely it would not work.  Even if you were able to bake and transport it to the venue, can you imagine someone trying to serve a 14" molten cake to guests?  What a freakin' mess!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2018 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 7

but hmmm -- i checked and i don't see the lava cake -- 

https://www.pillsbury.com/bake-off-contest/recipes/every-single-grand-prize-winning-bake-off-recipe-ever

but i think it's in perfect cakes by nick maglieri -- gotta find that book...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%