Baking For Real....

Baking By BakedbyMommy Updated 14 Sep 2018 , 5:13am by bubs1stbirthday

BakedbyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyMommy Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 1:45am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone. I've been baking for a couple of years, but never professionally. I have since learned so much by practicing. I now want to take the next step and learn more techniques and practicing more...maybe start a business. I live in Texas, so under the Cottage Foods Law, I can bake and sell my goods from home as long as it doesn't have to be refrigerated. 

I just want to know from you guys the following:

What size cake pans do I need? I have 9" round and some sheet pans.

I prefer BC but wondering...do I buy or make fondant?

Wasc cakes all the time? can they be used for cupcakes? 

is it more cost effective to bake from scratch vs wasc?

Starting prices? base prices? etc.

How do you practice? I want to bake like 3 cakes but what do I do with 3 cakes lol.

I am buying all supplies from amazon and walmart, so I know I have been paying more than wholesale. However, since I am not selling anything, yet, I think it may be the best option for now. I currently have 9" round pans, sheet pans, a KA mixer, piping bags...pretty much the basics. 

And of course, any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

6 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 7

I definitely don't have all the answers but here is what I would recommend for some of your questions...

What size cake pans - I would probably add 8" and 6" and maybe a 10" to your collection (I have two of each size).  I use my 8" and 6" quite a bit.  But I wouldn't go crazy buying large pans yet unless you start getting orders for large cakes.  Nowadays with Amazon one can easily order pans and have them on their door step in a day or two.

You can make fondant (it is a messy process but pretty straight forward) but I especially like buying fondant if primary colors are needed.  The idea of trying to get a nice red fondant that is homemade is just not something I want to tackle.

The type of cake recipe that you use is completely up to you.  If you find a recipe that tastes yummy and holds up well then stick with it and if that happens to be a WASC recipe then go for it.  I know scratch vs using a box mix can be a hot topic on here but I am in the boat that as long as the cake is good then I don't really care how it was made LOL!

As far as prices go, that really depends on your area, the cost of your ingredients, how much you think you should be making an hour, etc, etc, etc.  I am still trying to figure out a per serving cost for my cakes and it is super difficult for a large variety of reasons (mainly I feel guilty asking for money and don't think I should be charging as much as local bakeries since I don't consider myself a professional by any means, yet I still want to make money).  So pricing will probably be the hardest thing to figure out.

If you are just wanting to practice decorating you can buy dummy cake tiers.  No sense baking cakes only because you want to practice decorating techniques.  If you want to try out recipes then I would probably cut the recipes in half and make smaller versions of the cakes.  This way you get to figure out what the final product will be but you aren't having to use as many ingredients.  As for what to do with the cakes, you can either freeze them for later or I have never met a friend or family member or coworker who turns down a cake :)

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 3:07pm
post #3 of 7

I would also like to add that this "business" is brutal. It can be a tough way to make very little money. I love this site, and you should spend at least 5 hours reading the old business posts....BEFORE you spend money in supplies. I am not saying this to bum you out, but rather to warn you to be prepared for the disappointments.

I taught Wilton in Austin area. Lots of my students had "the dream"(cute little cake shop, bake creatively, make lots of money). 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 7

First, let me agree with johnson60fus, baking is my retirement hobby and no way, no how would I EVER consider it as a way to try and make a living.  While I know it is possible, it is HARD, HARD work and can be so stressful.

My most commonly used pan sizes are 6", 8" and 10".  Like Freckles0829, I have at least two of each size and three of the 6" and 8".

I always make my own fondant, except for black and red.  I use Liz Marek's LMF recipe for marshmallow fondant.  I have made black and red, but, boy is it a mess!

Baking For Real....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 7

I mostly agree w/the others.  I'd add a 12" round pan to the others.  Make fondant ONLY if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer (or another brand as powerful).  Don't try it w/a hand mixer ! :)   As I have told Sandra (and others on here) there is a cure for red/black/any color hands :)  Toothpaste!  But I agree it's best to purchase primary coloed fondants.    As for recipe.......of course I'd recommend the WASC recipe!! :)   It can be made in any flavor needed and yes, it works well for cupcakes too - just takes about 15-20 minutes baking.    You can buy styrofoam to practice on but if it's the baking you want to try consider gifting the cakes to your local fire or police departments or give as gifts to your hair stylist; banker, doctor, dentist,  or anyone who provides you with services.  I tried giveing them to a local battered women's home but they said they had to limit how much sweets the people get :(  Just a few ideas.  Oh, and when ever you hear of an event, b'day, anniveersary, potluck dinner, church affair, whatever, consider offering to make a cake.  You can explain you are "trying to learn so it may not be perfect but....."  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Sep 2018 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

LOL, wish I had known about the toothpaste trick when the above picture was made, Lynne!  Of course, if I had not been too lazy to put on gloves, it would not have happened.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 Sep 2018 , 5:13am
post #7 of 7

Lol - I spray my hands with cooking spray oil before mixing in colours, it makes a big difference to how easy it is to get the colour off. 

I make my fondant by hand but in small batches. I use a recipe that can be found in a thread titled 'ready made v's home made fondant' that is listed in a post by costmeczar. Super simple to make by hand and super easy to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%