Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By dbcrafts Updated 29 Aug 2018 , 4:45pm by Marian64

dbcrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbcrafts Posted 26 Aug 2018 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 19

Would y'all poi Mr me to a tutorial or tell me how to achieve the petals on this cake?  My granddaughter wants this cake and it's a little above my comfort zone.  I don't want to.dissappoint her.Wedding Cake Help

18 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 26 Aug 2018 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 19

You take some fondant/gumpaste mixture.  Roll it out thin and cut out your shapes.  Looks like circles, teardrops, and free form.  Use a ball tool on a foam pad to thin out the edges of each shape.  Lay them in a bowl, deviled egg dish, egg crate foam so that they dry with a little bit of "movement" to them.  Apply with an edible glue or royal icing.  That's how I would do it.  Haven't done that before, but that would be my guess. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2018 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 19

Looks like whatthedogate got it nailed for you :)   Lots of work for that many tiers .

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Aug 2018 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 19

I agree with whatthedoate, but you don't need to let your circles dry out completely or they will be much harder to position.  If they are still a bit soft, you can nestle them together nicely without breakage.  Allow many hours...many hours!...to cover three tiers with ruffles.

dbcrafts Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 19

Ugh, some how i knew this was going to be a headache.  But, it's the granddaughter, so looks like this cake is happening.  Thank you for the help and wish me LOTS .of luck

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 19

It's not hard, dbcrafts, just time consuming.  It is even sort of relaxing if you give yourself plenty of time.  These ruffles appear to be done with fairly large circles and not cramed as closely together as a lot of cakes, so would take a lot less time.  It may not be too bad at all.  Good luck!  I can't wait to see your special cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 19

roll out a large piece of fondant that has a nice amount of cornstarch already kneaded in well -- spray it with the fat in the aerosol can, not baker's joy -- just the grease  -- cut out oval and round and leaf shapes, etc. -- stuff these in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid -- don't use any powder like corn starch or powdered sugar -- 

whip out one at at time keeping the lid closed tight in between and go for it -- you can possibly keep them in the container overnight without them smushing all back together -- or if you layer parchment between layers you can freeze them -- myself i would use small cutters so that when i used the roller ball i could smush them out into the more abstract asymmetrical shapes right on the foam --

make an assembly line -- it will go faster than you think -- i'd also advise to do some on the side of a cake pan first to get your rhythm down --

for some of them you can use a pizza cutter and just slash 'em out -- 

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 19

you'll probably need maybe 6 to 8 big fondant roll outs  18X18 or 24X24 -- give or take -- i always do the biggest tier first --

SandraSmiley Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 19

When I am making a lot of fondant decorations in advance, I put them on a piece of cardboard cut to size and covered in wax paper.  When the board is filled with pieces, I seal them in a Zip Loc bag.  You could even make several layers with a piece of wax paper between the layers.  I've kept them sealed for several days and they remain pliable.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 19

Wow what wonderful advice you have been given.  Would not have thought to do so much ahead - take it in steps so it's not all done in one day. Isn't this site (and other) a  wonderful help to all! 

dbcrafts Posted 27 Aug 2018 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 19

Oh my,  you all have been so helpful!  I'm going to give it my best shot.  I'll post a pic when it's finished.  Thank you so very much.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 19

attack it like somebody is paying you -- you're on the clock -- not like you're a dreamy headed grandma reliving every moment of every detail of your granddaughter's life, sniffling with every egg you crack, your mind lost in the vahhstness of the decorating prospect and all aglow with anticipation for the new family being born -- the first way will get you out of there in time to get dressed in time for the wedding -- the other way you may never get done hahahahahaha -- i've been there for family cakes --

can't wait for pictures 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 19

Kate, are you sure you were not a screen writer in your former life, lol?

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 2:31pm
post #14 of 19

sandra. you (sic) so funny -- laughingsmiley

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 6:16pm
post #15 of 19

Well, you could have been!  You always make me laugh!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 7:42pm
post #16 of 19

thank you, sandra

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 7:58pm
post #17 of 19

You’re toooooo funny Kate!!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2018 , 10:51pm
post #18 of 19

thank you, june

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 29 Aug 2018 , 4:45pm
post #19 of 19

My only advice is to give yourself  plenty of time. I did one with ruffles and it took me hours to do. I used the pasta roller on my kitchen aid to get same thickness. 

I am sure it will be pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%