Home-Based Baking Business In Florida

Business By DDVV Updated 7 Sep 2018 , 11:38pm by craftybanana2

DDVV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDVV Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 2

Hi All!

Does anyone here have a home-based baking business registered in the state of Florida? Can you please provide some guidance?

Where do you register you name?

Does your home need to pass inspections?

IRS?  Taxes? 

Etc Etc Etc

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: I apologize ahead of time if you don;t see a reply from me. Please know that I'm reading responses. However, Cake Central does not always post my replies. I think there is a bug on this site. Thanks.

1 reply
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 7 Sep 2018 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 2

I'm not sure if you found the answer yet, but the State laws are here: https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Business-Services/Food-Establishment-Inspections/Cottage-Foods

There are some drawbacks: no cream cheese icing, nothing that has to be refrigerated, only able to make $15,000 per year (gross caking income, supplies needed to make aren't taken into account). It does vary from county to county. For example, in Miami-Dade county they were prohibiting it all together, whereas my county (Brevard) only uses the state guidelines.

You will pay taxes on your income, but you don't charge the customer tax (unless required to do so by your city and/or county). Contact your local Department of Agriculture, sometimes they may even have a class about it. Mine does a sort of business one sometimes. Also ask them if they know where to register your business name. I'm guessing the tax office. I looked into the cottage food laws here to start a business, but then I had a kid and he required a bit more care at the time. Now I've got two kiddos and I don't see it happening for me in the near future, maybe when my kids are in high school or college.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%