2 Cake Questions

Baking By Melanyc Updated 24 Aug 2018 , 11:49am by me_me1

Melanyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melanyc Posted 23 Aug 2018 , 8:20am
post #1 of 6

Hi there I have 2 cake questions for you 

first, home made chocolate cake why does every recipe need either water or coffee, can I use milk instead I’ve tried these recipes with water or coffee and I do not like the taste of the water I know it sounds weird but I can taste it. Also the last time I made the Hershey’s perfectly chocolate cake it was perfect texture on half the cake fromthe middle up , but from the bottom down it was a rubbery texture ? What does that mean and how do I avoid it ? 

second question , vanilla cake from scratch always taste like flour ....how can I fix this? 

Thank you for reading

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Aug 2018 , 10:46am
post #2 of 6

if you use milk you weaken the chocolate flavor -- you get a milk chocolate cake -- so you could ramp up the chocolate if you want a darker flavor and still use milk --  the rubber part on the bottom is possibly due to it not being mixed correctly -- 

vanilla cake tasting like flour seems to suggest it was not mixed enough -- beginning and ending with flour and then mixing it well -- or if it's a fold the egg whites in -- you still have to get the flour all incorporated before you do the egg whites --

don't be afraid to mix your cake up -- you don't want to whip it -- don't go over speed 4-5  on a stand mixer but i always say -- mix it like a cake mix -- two minutes -- before folding in egg whites though -- but after all the flour goes in

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 1:30am
post #3 of 6

Coffee enhances the chocolate flavor. Like adding salt to certain foods doesn’t necessarily make it taste salty, but makes it more flavorful. So using coffee in a chocolate cake isn’t to make it taste like coffee. It’s to make it taste more chocolatey. 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 2:58am
post #4 of 6

Use cake flour in your vanilla cake. 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 10:33am
post #5 of 6

Oh... and Add more Flavoring to your vanilla cake... double the amount of vanilla the recipe calls for... maybe add a drop or two of citrus or caramel or some other flavor to give it more depth... so many vanilla cake recipes I have seen just don't call for much flavoring... 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 24 Aug 2018 , 11:49am
post #6 of 6

I am massively heavy handed with the vanilla (and vanilla bean paste) in my vanilla cake. Always tastes lovely, never tastes like flour   :)

I use a combo of water and milk in my chocolate cake. Say if I'm using 500ml of boiling water, then I use 250ml of milk. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%