Wedding This Saturday!

Baking By rachamberlain Updated 17 Aug 2018 , 11:23pm by rachamberlain

rachamberlain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachamberlain Posted 16 Aug 2018 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 8

I have a 6-tier naked wedding cake that I'm making for this Saturday, and the bride just changed to wanting every tier having chocolate drip. Any tips or encouragement you have is VERY appreciated! I have decided to risk a ganache made with candy melts in hopes that it won't completely melt since it is an outdoor reception in CA. Thankfully the wedding doesn't even start till 7pm, so there should not be direct sunlight on it. Also, any tips transporting that big of a cake? I have to deliver it 3.5 hrs away. :O (yes, this is for a friend. ya gotta do what ya gotta do. ;) )

TIA!

~Rachel

7 replies
TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 16 Aug 2018 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 8

Use a great "real" support system, and transport in pieces and put together there

rachamberlain Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 8

Will do! Thank you!

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 8

Agree with TruCake to use something like SPS and do NOT transport with it stacked - with that long of a drive it could be a disaster. I don't know where you are in CA but where I am (SoCal) it's already over 85 degrees outside! Also be sure to keep the sun off the cake while driving it there! Good luck and post pictures.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

As TruCake said transport in sections.  Depending on the sizes you probably can put several 2 tiers sections together, then put it all together on site.  Yes, do dowel well - even using plastic drink straws will hold it up but be sure (EXTRA sure) theyn go in straight and the tiers are *level*.  To me that's the secret of keeping a cake upright :)  It really doesn't take 10 straws in a 10" cake - (aka: overkill) if then are placed straight and in a level tier :) 

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

You can also go to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnns and get the plastic plate support systems. They will not move on you at all. They a tree e Korean expensive but you may find well worth it.  Just another suggestion for you 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 8

i've done an exact duplicate delivery like this in socal -- memphis of course is as hot plus humid -- to ensure success -- seal the cold cakes into corrugated cardboard boxes -- moving boxes -- this will hold them and it gives the invisible cohesivenes of the cold factor -- sun on the sealed boxes is not a problem -- 

best to you

rachamberlain Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%