Dark Brown Fondant That Doesn't Taste Like Chocolate?

Sugar Work By TheLittleThingsBakingCo. Updated 15 Aug 2018 , 11:30pm by bakemeenchanted

TheLittleThingsBakingCo. Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLittleThingsBakingCo. Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone!

I've been getting answers to my cake questions for years from this site and I finally have a question I couldn't find an answer to and so I finally made an account!

I have a client that I'm going to be making a brown "leather" Michael Kors purse for, but the birthday girl doesn't like chocolate at all.

I usually use either satin ice or wilton, but both of their brown fondants are chocolate flavor.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to make a nice dark brown fondant that doesn't taste like chocolate or require a mass amount of food coloring? Or should I just advise the client on the flavor of the fondant being chocolate flavored?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions everyone!

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 12:53am
post #2 of 9

You could start with a burgandy or red fondant, which would require less food coloring to make dark brown than if you started with white.  I would suggest using a darker color like red or orange and painting it brown with an airbrush or Wilton's spray colors, which work quite well.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 9

As I keep telling my kids, if you mix all the colours of play doh you will end up with brown!

So I would try some premixed primary colours and see if you can mix the right shade using a little at a time. Just weight out a small amount of each and keep a note of how much you used so you can scale up.

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 9

Red and green is a good starting place.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 9

eah but it might or might not be a pretty brown

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 9

*yeah

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 12:25am
post #7 of 9

That is why I suggested starting with red or orange and adding brown (and maybe a touch of black) food color.  That would make a beautiful, bright brown.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 2:25am
post #8 of 9

maybe so -- i would not try to mix brown myself-- i would at least use brown food color

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 15 Aug 2018 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 9

Hi! Oh just made a very dark brown today for the patties of a burger cake. Started with some leftover deep pink fondant thatch had coloured with Wilton Rose pink. Added in wilton brown and that gave me a lovely bright brown. Then I added black because I wanted do dull it a bit. I ended up with a really nice very dark well-done-beef-patty brown! 

If you have powdered brown food colouring available, or Americolor gel, that's even better. But do start with a dark shade as I feel brown is one of the 'weaker' food colours 

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%