Costing Input For Flower Arrangements

Business By LynneCakes Updated 13 Aug 2018 , 12:42am by SandraSmiley

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 8

I asked last year about this one...actually I made SIX of these for a satellite wedding cake arrangement plus hand sculpted owls so yeah, a ton of work!  Built on a 4" styrofoam half dome mounted on a plastic plate, covered with ivory fondant.

Now I just made these for a 50th anniversary cake.  I was happy with the price I got since it was for a close friend.  But in the future, if someone I'm not so close to orders these, what would a reasonable price be?  I live in Sudbury Ontario Canada so not a huge metropolitan center.

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 8

The bulk of the cost of sugar flowers is your time.  To simplify, keep track of how long it takes you to make the arrangement and multiply the number of hours by the amount you want to pay yourself, plus a ball park figure for the materials.  For instance, say the materials cost $10.00 per arrangement and you want to make $15.00 per hours and it takes 10 hours to make one arrangement, the cost would be $15.00 X 10, plus $10.00 or $160.00.

LynneCakes Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 1:37am
post #3 of 8
WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 3:06am
post #4 of 8

I charge per flower for sugar flowers. To decide just how much, I make a few flowers and average the time it takes to make them. Also, it doesn't hurt to go to places like Global Sugar Art and see how much they charge per flower. Theirs should be cheaper than what you charge. If they order enough blooms, I offer a discount because I can make the flowers quicker in bulk.

LynneCakes Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 4:49am
post #5 of 8

I sent a reply but looks like it didn’t post

LynneCakes Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 8

Wow my second post was truncated! Anyone else have issues using this website on an iPad? What I said is I haven’t done a whole lot of flowers so am learning how to produce quality flowers more efficiently. In other words, I’m slow

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 12:40am
post #7 of 8

I am slow, too, Lynne, but have found that when making several of the same type flower, the assembly line technique is much quicker than making one flower to completion, then moving on to the next one. 

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 12:42am
post #8 of 8

I have not yet experienced any problems replying to a post, but I know a lot of others have.  My biggest difficulty is trying to download pictures into the gallery.  Only rarely can I get in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%