Friday Night Cake Club For 8/10/18

Decorating By kstevens Updated 18 Aug 2018 , 10:11pm by me_me1

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 10 Aug 2018 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 19

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Happy Friday everyone!  I'm getting things started up early tonight while I have a minute.  I'm working on a wedding cake for tomorrow and I am STRESSED!!!  Every time I do a wedding cake I say it's going to be my last and this time I mean it! Lol 

Friends of a friend are getting married and he asked me long before this damn heat wave if I'd do the cake.  Stupid me I said yes.  Wafer paper flowers and leaves are made although I'm not super happy with the flowers.  I am currently working on the bottom dummy tier which will be all fondant decorated.  The actual cake I'm doing in SMBC.  Cross your fingers for me!  I'll post pictures if all goes well sometime later this weekend along with the birthday cake I did this week. 

Hope everyone had a great week and that your temps aren't as gross as they are here in NS.

Kelly

18 replies
GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 3:46am
post #2 of 19

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 3:48am
post #3 of 19

This is all I have worked on this week. It is due Saturday afternoon. I am so excited, as this is the 3rd year in a row that I have made this little boy's birthday cake! Haven't finished it completely yet as I still need to put border on board, but other than that it looks great!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 9:28am
post #4 of 19

kstevens, I'm sure everything will work out - I'm sorry you're having to suffer through a heatwave though! Just adds a whole new level of stress!

Gigglebox2014 that's awesome! Love it   :)

I don't have any cakes this week as I've volunteered to have my nieces (6yo and 4yo) for a slumber party. So far they have snacked on salt and vinegar crisps, strawberries, blueberries, yoghurt and ice-cream. Tomorrow we are going to the local cat cafe.  I am fave aunt - hahaha!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2018 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 19

Super cake, GIGGLEOX2014!  Someone is going to be happyy!

I completely understand the sentiment, Kelly!  I think the same thing about every cake I do for someone else!  Don't worry about your flowers.  You know they will look wonderful when you get them on the cake.  Fingers crossed for good air-conditioning!  Can't wait to see your beauty!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 13 Aug 2018 , 3:11am
post #6 of 19

@GIGGLEBOX2014 great cake and I am sure the birthday boy will just love it.

Kelly I know your cake will be beautiful. I definitely understand the heat being a problem. Can’t wait to see the pictures.

kstevens Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 1:09am
post #7 of 19

@GIGGLEBOX2014 your cake turned out great!

I finally had time to get some photos of my cakes put together.  My first cake was a hatching dragon cake for a fan of the Wings of Fire book series.  The egg is marble cake covered in chocolate ganache covered in leaf "scales".  The dragon is made from modeling chocolate that was then colored with luster dust to match the colors of her favorite dragon, Leaf Wing.  Very pleased with how it turned out and the birthday girl's reaction was simply "whoaaa!"

The wedding cake had me totally stressed but in the end, I pulled it off.  It was based on Angkor Wat, the ruins in Cambodia. Kimheng is from Cambodia and apparently the ruins have a special meaning for him and his partner Andrew.  Andrew asked that the ruins be incorporated as a surprise for Kimheng.  Andrew is a florist so I knew I wanted to include flowers to reflect him.  I researched what flowers are native to Cambodia and frangipani is one.  I thought they'd be easy to make but gave me some grief.  I found templates online and made them from wafer paper.  They looked like the ones in the tutorial but not 100% life like. The bottom tier is a dummy covered in fondant.   The cake is covered in SMBC with a stone/concrete look to compliment the dummy tier.  Phew! I survived it! Lol

kstevens Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 1:12am
post #8 of 19

kstevens Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 1:12am
post #9 of 19

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 2:43am
post #10 of 19

Whoa! Is the right word for the dragon cake. It is so cute.

Glad to see the wedding cake was a success. I like the green on the ruins it is a nice touch. I think your flowers look great. 

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 3:21am
post #11 of 19

Kelly, you knocked it out of the ball park with both cakes!  The dragon is as cute as it can be and the wedding cake......WOW!.....just Wow!  It is gorgeous! I love the temple and the stone tiers and the flowers are just perfect!  Yes, I'm gushing!  I am in love with the wedding cake!

kstevens Posted 14 Aug 2018 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 19

@Marian64 and @SandraSmiley thank you both so much!  You just made my day with your kind words :-)

me_me1 Posted 15 Aug 2018 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 19

Both cakes are definitely wow material!!!  Love the little dragon, so cute!!  And that wedding cake is gorgeous - love all the details on that bottom section!

kstevens Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 19

@me_me1 thanks for your comment :-)

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 10:45pm
post #15 of 19

Friday Night Cake Club For 8/10/18Friday Night Cake Club For 8/10/18Friday Night Cake Club For 8/10/18

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 19

This was my daughters Coraline cake I did back in January. I haven’t posted in a long time!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Aug 2018 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 19

Great cakes everyone!!  how fun.

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Aug 2018 , 4:07pm
post #18 of 19

This is so cute, joeyww12000! 

me_me1 Posted 18 Aug 2018 , 10:11pm
post #19 of 19

@kstevens I had to go back and have a second (and third and fourth) look at that bottom tier. Just love it. I don't think I even really realised it was fondant covered to begin with - my eyes just assumed you'd found something cool in concrete at a garden centre to use as a cake stand! Amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%