Candy Melt "ganache" On Dummy Cake

Baking By Bakingcpa Updated 29 Jul 2018 , 11:35am by jchuck

Bakingcpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingcpa Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone has used a candy melt "ganache" to smooth out a cake dummy before decorating it? I usually use royal icing on all my cake dummies before putting fondant on, but I've got a couple dummies I need to use that have some rather large imperfections and I'm looking for something to fill them in. If you've done this, what ratio of candy melt to cream did you use? Thanks in advance. I've attempted many times to respond to forum posts and have yet to get a response to show up. So, I'm assuming I won't be able to respond to any suggestions or questions on this post either ☹.

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2018 , 12:03am
post #2 of 4

Bakingcpa, I use fondant softened with water to patch holes in my cake dummies.  Just make a really soft, pliable ball and smash it into the crevices and smooth out with a spatula or pallet knife.  Never tried ganache.

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 29 Jul 2018 , 2:47am
post #3 of 4

Candy melts did not work well at all for me. They do not harden like you think they would.  Like Sandra said fill with fondant it works great

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 29 Jul 2018 , 11:35am
post #4 of 4

I just use royal icing to fill in any holes or divets on my cake dummies. Apply, then smooth out. Dries rock hard very quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%