Sweet 16 Ideas Please

Decorating By whatthedogate Updated 12 Aug 2018 , 3:34am by whatthedogate

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 5:44am
post #1 of 14

I am making a cake for a girl's sweet 16. It's for a chairitable organization that makes cakes for kids in foster care. Since this is her sweet 16 I really want to make it special for her. The info sheet said she likes the color sky blue and her interests are music, dance, and inspirational quotes and flowers. I'm thinking two tier and a Tiffany blue,but beyond that I'm not sure. So many choices. Please help me make a great cake for this deserving young lady. Thanks!

13 replies
WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 14

I would try to put music notes and dance silhouettes around the bottom tier and use an inspirational quote on the top tier. I would play around with those elements until they looked right.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 14

The first thing that came to mind for me was music notes, and maybe putting an inspirational quote on an edible image and using it as a wrap for the smaller tier. I need to fully wake up to get cohesive thoughts lmao or maybe instead of wrapping the cake, the quote can sit on the cake board. I'll be back when I can be of more help.

whatthedogate Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you wybee and ypierce82. I like the quote separate from the music and dance tier. That's a good idea to wrap the quote around the tier. I also had thought about doing the quote on the cake board. I'm just hoping it all comes together in something cohesive. Thanks! Keep those ideas coming as the coffee kicks in. Lol!

ypierce82 Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 14

You're welcome. The music, dance, and quote was easy, they kind of go together. It is the flowers that throw me off. Like. I have no idea how to incorporate them. Do all of those things have to be on the cake? I'm sure what ever you come up with is going to be perfect! 

WYBee Posted 28 Jul 2018 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 14

I had somehow missed the flowers. A quote on the cake board could be quite fun. A single larger flowers on the side of the small tier, top of the bottom tier, could work. If you do sugar flowers, I would do that. Otherwise see what you can find fresh that's non-toxic, or pipe some smaller flowers to accent parts of whatever quote you use.

whatthedogate Posted 29 Jul 2018 , 1:02am
post #7 of 14

Good ideas! Now to select a quote!

whatthedogate Posted 8 Aug 2018 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 14

@wybee and @ypierce82...Finished this up last night and ready to deliver this morning.  I wrote inspirational quotes on the ribbon that wraps around the cake board.  Cut out a dancer silhouette and musical notes out of black fondant. Never could figure out how to get flowers on this cake.  Hope she likes it.  Thank you for your help!

Sweet 16 Ideas Please

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Aug 2018 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 14

You cake is beautiful!  If you want to incorporate flowers (I suggest silk, at this late date), you could lay one on the cake board, up against the cake, on the right hand side, than another on the left side of the top of the first tier and a third one beside the number 16 on top.  Just a little pop of color.

whatthedogate Posted 8 Aug 2018 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you Sandra.   That arrangement would have looked nice, but I just delivered it as it was. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 2:59am
post #11 of 14

I don't think the cake would have really been improved by the addition of flowers, whatthedogate,  it is a great design.  It was just a way to add flowers.

ypierce82 Posted 9 Aug 2018 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 14

You did such an awesome job! I love the idea of writing the quote on the ribbon!

WYBee Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 2:01am
post #13 of 14

That looks great! I'm sure she loved it!!

whatthedogate Posted 12 Aug 2018 , 3:34am
post #14 of 14

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%