Caterer Gets The Whammy For Half The People Getting Sick

Business By -K8memphis Updated 25 Jul 2018 , 3:22pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 15

I mean they didn't mention the cake -- but two questions come to mind:

what if you made the cake for this wedding -- what would you be telling the authorities about how you made it and what you used etc.

what do you think might've made them all so sick? can you tell?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/bride-sues-caterer-after-more-than-100-guests-become-violently-ill-during-reception/ar-AAAdUge?ocid=ientp

14 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 15

Oh wow!  I feel so bad for the couple and their guests.  Who would start throwing away food when so many people were coming down sick at the party?  As the food caterer, I would be saving samples.  Did they even get to the cake?  So sad.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 15

I wonder if it could have been the drinks been that were the culprit?  Maybe dirty ice?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 15

Oh my goodness does this remind me of the mental agoney I went through when I heard of a similar event.   Many yrs ago I did some 3 or 4 wedding cakes in one weekend that was very hot (as usual in central CA-maybe 100+ Degrees)  I had delivered a cake to that venue!  If I rememver right, the 'caterer' was a family friend who worked out of her home w/o any liscening.  Again, as I remember the follow-up events many others besides the 'caterer' also brought food.  Just the custodian of the building and his family got very sick - decided it was leftover potato salad that he took home  had not been refrigerated for more than 36 hrs.  I heard that the 'caterer' ended up loosing *everything - including her home* when all the chips fell - even thought as I recall she had not provided that potato salad! .

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jul 2018 , 2:09am
post #6 of 15

What a nightmare!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2018 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 15

i think this is it 

• If food is to be stored longer than two hours, keep hot foods hot (warmer than 140°F) and cold foods cold (40°F or colder).

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2018 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 15

lynne i can't believe you recognize that venue and you delivered there -- wow small world -- was there any place there to hold food? was there a kitchen do you remember?

freckles -- i've gotten sick on dirty ice!

whatthedogate -- seriously who tosses samples -- but the caterer arrived at noon and people are getting sick at 8pm -- so they kept the mac & cheese at temp for eight hours?

maybenot -- i think you got it right with the staph reference -- i mean someone is getting away cheap for only $12,000 

sandra -- yeah i mean that caterer needs to hire a spin doctor to save his butt --

and yeah, wtdg, did they even get to the cake and how was that held and did it contain hazardous products like cream cheese icing, whipped cream, jelly, pastry cream etc.

but this is a big red flag caution to those who might need to reign in your food handling habits and take a class -- catering ain't for sissies and celebration cake IS catering

best to all

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jul 2018 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 15

freckles -- and i am a fiend for checking ice chutes at fast food restaurants -- all those soft drink nozzles AND the ice chute are supposed to cleaned DAILY and if you check carefully you will see black mold on that ice chute more often than not -- kid you not! 

our local panera -- the pinnacle of righteous food right? for several months off & on i would complain -- you can tell if mold is accumulating --  getting wiped versus getting immersed in cleaner -- liars liars liars -- i started telling people to watch out for the black mold on the ice chute -- i shoulda called corporate --

anyway -- that sh*t can kill you!

kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2018 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 15

Oh NO K8 - what I posted about was an event that happened back in the mid 1990s. 

As for mold on the ice chute and/or the soda fountains, etc - yes I can taste it for sure.  Haven't noticed any lately but again, back in the mid '90s I sure did. 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2018 , 12:05pm
post #11 of 15

right -- you said you delivered to that venue -- do you remember if it had a kitchen facility?

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jul 2018 , 12:06pm
post #12 of 15

and the mold you can See on the ice chute -- and if you take a napkin and press it up to the drink spout it will show on the napkin too

kakeladi Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 12:48am
post #13 of 15

K8 as I remember yes, it did have a kitchen.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 3:43am
post #14 of 15

Never mind the ice chute - you should see what's inside the tubes of a post mix drink machine. I worked in a pub that had less than ideal standards, only one night a week and I am pretty sure I am the only one who ever cleaned it but the build up of red slime and mould was impossible to get out.

P.S My advice is Don't drink a post mix drink lol, those things were nit designed properly for cleaning.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2018 , 3:22pm
post #15 of 15

oh my achin' tummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%