Cups To Grams

Baking By Ljs37 Updated 20 Jul 2018 , 12:54am by LindsayH

Ljs37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ljs37 Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 6:17am
post #1 of 5

I find weighing my ingredients works better than measuring them but different charts have different amounts. Where can I find the correct weight in grams for my dry ingredients?

4 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 9:17am
post #2 of 5

When I find a recipe that I like I just measure the 'cup measurements' then write down the weight of each ingredient amount as I tip them in the mixing bowl.

Once you have done a few recipes you will know what a cup of this and a cup of that etc weighs so it will be easier to convert your recipe instructions.

Scampbell731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scampbell731 Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 9:45am
post #3 of 5

I look at the nutritional label on the ingredient and where it gives the serving size, it usually has the weight in grams next to it.  I figure out how many grams are needed for my recipe and write it on the recipe next to each ingredient.  For example, serving size for AP flour is 1/4 cup (30 grams).  If my cake uses 2 1/2 cups, I write 300g next to the measurement on my recipe.  I do it for each recipe as I make them so now I can just put the bowl on the scale and just start adding ingredients.  If I transfer ingredients to containers, I write the serving size and the weight on the container.  I have even figured out the whole measurements for things like baking soda, baking powder, and salt...serving size for baking powder is 1/8tsp (0.6 grams), on the lid I write 1 tsp=4.8...sometimes I do weigh those items but I usually  just use measuring spoons...it was really to see if it really was that weight and to see if my measuring spoons were true to size.  If I do weigh the small things I will weigh them in a ramekin and then add to the mixing bowl.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Jul 2018 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 5

I doubt that you'll find a pre-made chart because cups are a volume measurement and grams are a weight measurement.  A cup of milk weighs more than a cup of flour.

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 20 Jul 2018 , 12:54am
post #5 of 5

I've found this website to be very helpful in converting weight to volume measurements. You actually select the ingredient from a list in order to convert. So, a cup of butter converted to grams is different than a cup of flour to grams. It's not dead on accurate every time, and it doesn't have every baking ingredient. But it's definitely a good starting point.

https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%