Kirstio Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 10:37am
post #1 of 3

Gutted

Completely gutted

made my first wedding cake yesterday!

this semi naked cake.

i took it to venue to assemble at 12.00

weddimg was at 1.30

it was 28 degrees here. The wedding was in a marquee ! It was stifling. I kept telling them it was too hot 

no air con. They put a fan on it, but it kept going off.

i left it not happy with the heat.

i just heard that the venue turned the fan off and left it!

it collapsed. I'm heartbroken and feel at fault! 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 3

putting the fan made it worse -- that's convection heat -- I understand your guttedness -- BUT wow what a great cake and tablescape! weddings are not allowed special dispensations that cakes can withstand hotter temperatures that normal just because they're weddings -- that's what they wanted and ordered and so (they think) it should all work despite all your warnings to the contrary because it's their wedding -- no doesn't work that way -- you TOLD them it was too hot -- not your fault although I do understand your feelings because that was your first masterpiece but it's THEIR fault --

y'know how if you computer gets gummed up and you erase it back to a certain date before the booboo happened -- do that -- get over the unpleasant feelings -- just erase that -- don't rehearse and rehash that -- erase back to this picture and rejoice -- it's an artistic masterpiece -- you did great --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 3

Well said, Kate! (Naturally!)

This is a beautiful, perfect cake and a stunning display!  Totally not your fault.  People do not seem to comprehend that it is CAKE, it is HOT, butter MELTS!  As Kate said, just because it is their wedding, they expect it to make an exception....wrong!  I am not a professional and only make the occasional cake for a customer, but I have already decided that I will not make a cake for someone who chooses to have their wedding cake displayed out doors or in a freakin' barn!  Failure waitig to happenn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%