Caramel Buttercream

Baking By Laetia Updated 17 Jul 2018 , 10:19pm by melbakescakes

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,

I want to make a ombre cake using chocolate, caramel and vanilla buttercream to decorate the cake and get the ombre effect. I'm planing on making a batch of smbc and split it in 3 to make each flavor. What is the best way to flavor the caramel one. A box of instant caramel pudding, melted butterscotch morsels or some caramel sauce? I'm afraid that if I use caramel sauce, the texture of smbc will be too soft compare to the chocolate and vanilla ones and make it difficult to work with and smooth maybe?

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Julie

8 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 9

I use caramel sauce for my caramel SMBC.  Just a bit will give you that hint of flavor without making it too runny.  Add a touch of brown food gel to give it the color you're going for with the ombre effect.

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 9

If you can make a separate small batch, I use dark brown sugar to make a caramel SMBC and then I also add caramel sauce.  Not from scratch, I usually use Trader Joe's Fleur de Sel salted caramel sauce.  It's very thick so it doesn't mess with the texture too much.  Think of how you add jam to a buttercream to make raspberry or something.  It's basically jam textured caramel.

Laetia Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks to both of you. I'm not sure if I will have the time to make 2 batches of smbc, but I'll try to find a thick caramel sauce. I don't have access to Trader Joe's here in Quebec, but I sure will find something similar.

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 9

As long as it comes in a jar and not a squeeze bottle, it should probably be thick enough.

Laetia Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 9

I'll remember that, thanks!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jul 2018 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 9

CK peters soft caramel is simply fantastic to add to icing, especially SMBC

https://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/ingredients-icing-colors-flavors/peters-soft-caramel/46/587/1136/618990/

Laetia Posted 15 Jul 2018 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks MB, I'll keep that in mind for next time maybe. Unfortunately I do not have the time to order online for this cake. I'll have to go with what I can find in the store for this one.

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 17 Jul 2018 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 9

I would definitely make caramel sauce from scratch, it’s so easy and delicious. I add that to my SMBC for a caramel buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%