String Look? Not Sure How To Do This.

Decorating By sweettoothAZ Updated 10 Jul 2018 , 3:57am by me_me1

sweettoothAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothAZ Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 7

Im unsure how to do this. Is the string work Buttercream? I can’t see that sticking to the cake well once crusted. Any suggestions?

String Look? Not Sure How To Do This.

6 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 7

Looks like it is piped with either a Wilton 4 or 5 tip.  You could use an extruder, but piping would be easier, at least to me.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

Practice.  That looks like a fine line between "ooh pretty!" and "huh?"  Maybe royal icing?

sweettoothAZ Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you. I need to brush up on my piping skills. I have a really hard time on the sides of a cake. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 7

It almost looks like it was piped on a fondant covered cake so there are no worries about the crusting of the buttercream.  I would also probably use royal icing instead of buttercream.  I just feel like it would go on a bit smoother.

But I agree with whatthedogate about practice.  Even this cake, in my opinion, is verging on mummy territory instead of pretty territory.

sweettoothAZ Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 7

Ha! I agree, not my favorite design to try and replicate for sure. The bride does not want fondant but that would help. I think I’ll try the royal icing. Thank you for the replies! Wish me luck.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 10 Jul 2018 , 3:57am
post #7 of 7

I like the flowers.............

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%