Individual Cake Freezing ?

Baking By doodledo Updated 9 Jul 2018 , 7:42am by -K8memphis

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 11

I need to make 30 individual cakes. I am going to cut them from a large sheet pan. I always freeze my cakes days before decorating. Would I cut them out then freeze or freeze the sheet and cut out right before decorating?

10 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 11

I would cut out and then freeze...a bit of a time saver when you are finally ready to decorate.  Plus smaller cakes defrost quicker than one large one.

doodledo Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the quick reply. I just wasnt sure how to proceed.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Jul 2018 , 12:17am
post #4 of 11

Take this with a grain of salt as I have never done it before but I would bake, partially freeze, torte, fill then freeze fully and cut prior to decorating while they are still partially frozen for nice clean lines and minimal crumbs.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 11

bubs -- that's what I do with all my cakes -- I torte, fill and freeze un-iced -- get all the messy mess out of the way -- then just whip out, final ice, decorate and store in fridge till delivery -- crumb coating never interested me -- why go 'round twice when once will do blush

but I have all my stuff tested already -- and it goes in & out of the freezer/fridge fine

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 11

although I do trim the edges after filling & layering up the layers for a tier -- so the icing goes on the same thickness all the way around --

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 11

Kinda late to answer, but I would bake and freeze. Soooo much easier to cut a partially frozen cake and decorate. 

doodledo Posted 8 Jul 2018 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all the replies.

K8memphis, does your filling get “funny” after freezing it? I am making these for my niece for her small shower so I can do whatever I want. Was thinking of filling some with a rapsberry filling, some with chocolate icing. and the others I am not sure just yet. The weather has been so nice I need to get on the ball but I keep putting them off.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 12:27am
post #9 of 11

I always freeze left over cake slices, I use SMBC and Ganache and they defrost beautifully - just make sure they come fully to room temp and you wont even know the icing has been frozen, if it's not back to room temp it will be very firm and not as enjoyable.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 12:37am
post #10 of 11

I also have froze filled cakes. Once defrosted you could never tell the icing was frozen. I use wicked goodies advice on her website.

https://www.wickedgoodies.net/freezing-cakes/

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2018 , 7:42am
post #11 of 11

doodledo -- like bubs and jchuck have said, my fillings are fine when frozen and thawed -- I also freeze my whipped cream and strawberries filling but it's whipped correctly -- if it's not the water will freeze apart from the cream and it won't be pretty -- people think they need to stabilize whipped cream with something but it holds perfectly without any additional ingredients IF it's whipped properly -- whipped up to right before it turns to butter -- 

but like I said I tested all my stuff beforehand too -- like test yours overnight is all you need to tell -- get it out in the morning to thaw and see how it does for you -- just to be sure

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%