What To Charge For Wedding Cake?

Business By valleycakegirl Updated 5 Jul 2018 , 9:19pm by johnson6ofus

valleycakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valleycakegirl Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all!  I have been asked to provide a quote for a wedding cake.  The potential client wants a three tiered cake, but with two of the tiers being fake (and one real I'm assuming to cut).  They also want a sheet cake to cut and serve.  The picture I was sent for the three tiered cake looks fairly simple - white buttercream on all layers with a stripe of gold at the bottom of each tier.  They want a chantilly cake similar to the one from Whole Foods, which I've never had.  They estimate having 150 people.  Not sure if it helps, but the wedding will take place in Simi Valley, which is a little bit north of Los Angeles.  Any help on this would be much appreciated!  

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 5

How much will y ou have in expencents?  And include *EVERYTHING* used - cake boards, filling, cake boxes, electricty used to mix, bake, etc; cost for delivering (gas BOTH ways, time involved) and sooooooo very much more.   Since you have never tasted a chantilly cake how are you going to know if what you make comes even close?   Since they want just one tier to be real cake the price does NOT reduce as it takes as much time, effort, cost of styro & icing etc to make all the tiers alike.    Without knowing what size those 3 tiers will be  My off-the-cuff thought would be about $800

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 5

Oh, I forgot about adding in the sheet cakes to make up 150 servings :(   That probably would be at least another $300

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 5

I'm confused why they want their wedding cake to be mostly fake?  I get having fake tiers when you want a larger cake than would be acceptable for the number of guests (aka you want a 5 tiered cake but only have 75 guests).  But their requests just makes them spend more money and causes you to have to do more work, even though they think by doing it this way they will save money.

But regardless of that, like kakeldai said, you need to take EVERYTHING into account when it comes to making the cake.  I would also do some research of local bakeries to see what they may charge for something similar.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 5

Spoken like a true bride who read that a "fake cake" is cheaper.  <sigh> 

The cost of the fake cake PLUS the sheet cake will equal more than cut doing the 3 tiers cake, a 6", 10" and 16" get you to 150 servings. Easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%