Kitchen Aid Hand Beater Batter Splatter Problem.

Baking By Expatmum Updated 6 Jul 2018 , 4:01am by Expatmum

Expatmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Expatmum Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 8:27am
post #1 of 7

I have a  new hand held Kitchen aid 9 speed beater and no matter what I beat.. cream, batter or thick buttercream, this thing flicks bits all over me, the counter and wall! Even on the lowest speed. It’s super frustrating. 

Wondering if my tines might be the cause or is this just how this powerful hand beater operates? 

I’d been using a 5 speed Kitchen Aid in the USA for years and that was prefect, but had to buy a new one as we moved to Europe, so diff voltage and thought an upgrade would be nice. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

6 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

Try a bowl with taller sides and also carefully drape a dishtowel over the your arm that is holding the beater.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 7

I have a mixer that has two sets of speeds -- if you flip this one switch you get the higher range of speeds -- if you flip it the other way you get the lower range -- so is there something like that on there? and are you using small amounts of batter? hopefully if you cover the beater part of the beater up with batter it won't do that? have you had a big amount of batter in there?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 7

but the range of speeds is using the same dial -- you just flip the separate switch to make it happen -- probably it's a long shot but idk

Expatmum Posted 5 Jul 2018 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the ideas.. sadly only one set of switches,  I might go back to a 5 speed if this continues.  Aside from the mess, the 9 speed is  much heavier too. And shielding the bowl with a tea towel kinda defeats the purpose of using a hand beater.. I like that I can See the minute the batter/icing  is incorporated.. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 1:01am
post #6 of 7

I have the KitchenAid nine speed hand mixer and it is fabulous.  No issues with spatter, even on the highest speed, but I do usually have the beaters mostly covered.  I do get very minor splashing when whipping cream, at the very beginning, but not enough to make me unhappy.  As whatthedogate suggested, I also use a very deep mixing bowl, tall and skinny, for all my hand mixing.

Expatmum Posted 6 Jul 2018 , 4:01am
post #7 of 7

Ahh.. sounds like I have the wrong bowls.. still waiting for my things to arrive from US, but good to know it does work well, thanks SandraSmiley. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%