Help!! With Truck Cake

Decorating By aussieloco Updated 30 Jun 2018 , 1:55am by aussieloco

aussieloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussieloco Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,

I've recently been asked to do a cake very similar to the one in the link below.

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2182606/1994-chevy-1500-silverado-cake

Any assistance is welcome....would you use a template to cut the cake? How would you support it since wheels out of cake would collapse? Making accent pieces - mirrors, bumpers, lights?

Thank you in advance.

7 replies
doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 8

I'm so glad to see this, I have to make one for my grandson in July and will be watching this post for answers!!  I wonder if the wheels are made of rice krispies and if that middle section with lights is wood  supporting the truck body.  Good luck!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 3:04am
post #3 of 8

If you have a look in my gallery I made a similar (though not as well finished unfortunately) cake to that one for my husband.

We actually bought a toy car and took the wheel base off of it to use for the tyres and my hubby made me a aluminium frame to support the cake board. We had a bit of fun with the cake as the wheels were free turning we drove it around the bench and table for a bit before we cut and ate it haha.

All of the side mirrors, car door handles etc were made from tylose strengthened fondant, The 'glass' was gelatin sheets, melted, formed loosely to shape then cut to proper shape - don't use the powder as it will be yellow instead of clear. Attaching the sheets gave me a bit of trouble as I used a bit too much glue and they melted a little (whoops!).

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 3:05am
post #4 of 8

Also, no I didn't cut a template but I modelled it on his scout and went out and took all the measurements and scaled them down so did all my cutting to measurements and eyeing it off.

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 3:17am
post #5 of 8

@bubs1stbirthday...what a great idea!  I would have never in a million years come up with that.

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 8

I would make it on a wood base, with wood dowels through the tires or on the in side of the tires (not actually in the tires).  I would have two cardboard silhouettes  of the car to help carve it symmetrically.

aussieloco Posted 30 Jun 2018 , 1:54am
post #7 of 8

Thank you for all of the information.

aussieloco Posted 30 Jun 2018 , 1:55am
post #8 of 8

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. Glad to see i"m on the right track.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%