Sorry, Grandma. My Cakes Ain't Made With Love. (A Rant)

Lounge By meganmbruns Updated 27 Jun 2018 , 9:02pm by kcp2264

meganmbruns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmbruns Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 8

I'm a casual baker. I do this for fun, as a hobby, for friends and family parties. But my cakes ain't made with LOVE. They are made with lots and lots of frustration and a bit of screaming. That isn't to say, that I don't like making cakes. I love it! I like to challenge myself with different techniques. Sometimes it turns out great, sometimes, it is disastrous.

This week was a smash cake for a 1 year old's birthday party. My first attempt at fondant figures: an elephant shaped cake topper. The first one was PERFECT! But ended up cracking so badly, it was unrepairable. I had to run out and get more fondant. Attempt two. PERFECT! Put them in the oven with the light on to dry (no heat) for 24 hours. They were looking great! Went to bake my cakes...forgot the little sugar pachyderms were in there. Baked elephants.

Now, I am on attempt 3: let's all cross our fingers!

Anyone else make cakes with angry love?

Sorry, Grandma. My Cakes Ain't Made With Love. (A Rant) 

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 8

Aaahhhh you aren't the only one who has dried something in the oven only to forget they were in there and baked them! :)   It's happened to many of us.

Yes, many times cakes are made in 'angry love' .

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 22 Jun 2018 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

Yup!  One time I put a pound of butter in the oven to "come to room temperature" and then forgot all about it until I went to preheat my oven.  Oy!  The smoke.  Sorry about your elephants.  Third times a charm...

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 Jun 2018 , 7:41am
post #4 of 8

Definitely not fun, but it happens to all of us. lol. I leave a note tapped to the hood above the stove that says "There are cake items in the oven! Do NOT turn on!". And sometimes it is more of a reminder to myself than the rest of my family cause I forget pretty easily! 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 26 Jun 2018 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 8

Every cake I have done thus far has had a moment(s) of stress/frustration.  If they didn't I would think that something was wrong with me LOL!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Jun 2018 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 8

Ohhhhh ya, been there, done that!!  Lets hope 3rd time is a charm...

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 11:10am
post #7 of 8

Lol, yep, me too, especially when my Grandma insists I make her something GF as 'she can't eat gluten' -( I promise not to curse too much while I am trying to perfect GF stuff that I know she doesn't even need haha) but I know full well she eats gluten when I aint looking  even though her doctors tell her not to ……………….. or when I know she will say something like 'you really should take some lessons, I see some beautiful cakes out there' rather than just saying thank you after I give her her cake that I have spent hours designing in my head then making just for her haha.

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 27 Jun 2018 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 8

Sometimes I say " I don't want to do this" every 5 minutes for days making a cake.  I really love challenging myself and the end product.  But I hate the whole process. I've closed for the summer because I hated being stuck in my house baking while everyone is having fun 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%