Lines In Fondant

Baking By kenzers624 Updated 24 Jun 2018 , 12:25am by WYBee

kenzers624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenzers624 Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 12

Can someone tell me what I can use to make these lines in the bottom tier of fondant? I thought a cutter/embosser but they look a little deep. I thought of using a pizza cutter but don’t want to rip/tear/slice thru the fondant. Any ideas? Lines In Fondant

11 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 12

Maybe you could use something to make an impression such as the edge of a bench scraper and then use a very fine paint brush to paint in some color to make it pop.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 12:59am
post #3 of 12

I would use a plastic ruler that I keep for measuring my cakes when I torte them or as above my cake scraper.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 1:04am
post #4 of 12

I am willing to bet the pieces were put on the cake in jigsaw puzzle style, already cut and added one piece at a time.  If you look closely, it appears that it was definitely not applied in one piece.  The top is certainly separate from the sides  That is how I would do it, anyway.

kenzers624 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 9:59am
post #5 of 12

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 8 hours ago

I am willing to bet the pieces were put on the cake in jigsaw puzzle style, already cut and added one piece at a time.  If you look closely, it appears that it was definitely not applied in one piece.  The top is certainly separate from the sides  That is how I would do it, anyway.

i don’t doubt it - but the bride specifically said she wants all of the fondant in one piece. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 12

Quote by @kenzers624 on 2 hours ago

i don’t doubt it - but the bride specifically said she wants all of the fondant in one piece. 

What a weird request.  Why would that even matter to her?

I would do as suggested above and use a bench scraper to make deep lines and then use some luster dust to give dimension.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 12

Quote by @kenzers624 on 2 hours ago

That really is a strange request from a client!  How would she know one way or another.....or care?!

kenzers624 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 12

The only thing she’s been that’s specific about so far

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 12

Quote by @kenzers624 on 8 minutes ago

Wow.  Amazing the little, unimportant things brides get hung up on.  Mine was the chairs, because obviously everyone cares what the chairs look like LOL!

kenzers624 Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 12

Quote by @Freckles0829 on 1 hour ago

Quote by @kenzers624 on 8 minutes ago

Wow.  Amazing the little, unimportant things brides get hung up on.  Mine was the chairs, because obviously everyone cares what the chairs look like LOL!

Mine was also chairs... spent hour decorating the chairs lol! Also table linens. 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Jun 2018 , 9:15am
post #11 of 12

That looks to me as though the side is one long, rolled out piece, applied by rolling around the cake and the top being a circle piece, then the impressions made. This method makes sharper edges than you would get from one large sheet of fondant over the entire tier.   You can do the top first or the sides first.

getting-sharp-edges-on-the-teeny-cake.jpg

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 24 Jun 2018 , 12:25am
post #12 of 12

If your bride is dead set on having a solid piece of fondant covering the cake, I'd suggest using a dresden tool to make the lines. Just be careful as it can stretch or tear the fondant if too much pressure is applied.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%