Shelf Life Of Bakery Products

Baking By sweetsfan Updated 18 Jun 2018 , 1:06am by mahtc2016

sweetsfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsfan Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hello-

I am in a bit of different situation with my retail sweet shop. I have essentially contracted out with someone else to do baking as I don't have experience with it. 

I have a few quick questions about shelf life

Cookies - uncovered during the day 10+ hours not in a case. Wrapped at night.  Standard oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, all unfrosted

Cake - This particular instance it was Black Forest Cake - covered on the counter. I am not 100% certain but do not think it was refrigerated at night. 

Do you typically freeze muffins? I know cupcakes (unfrosted) are ok to freeze but for how long?

I am a bit frustrated by a lack of quality surrounding shelf life and I am not sure if it is just because I don't know the "rules" or if it in fact an issue. 

Thanks in advance! 

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 5

Homemade baked goods are entirely different than those purchased from a supermarket.  They do not contain preservatives, which maintains an artificial shelf life.  Personally, I would never leave a cookie out in the open or just covered.  Cookies are tiny bites and dry out and loose their freshness very quickly  I always keep them tightly sealed or frozen until ready to eat.

I will let someone else address the issue of cake, but it depends entirely upon the type of cake and the ingredients used.  Some cakes require refrigeration.

Personally, I think all of the items mentioned should be fresh every morning or straight from the freezer.  I would be really pissed if I paid a few dollars for a cookie that turned out to be old and dry.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 5

black forest cake is made with whipped cream and has to stay refrigerated all the time

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 5

you ask:...... freeze muffins? I know cupcakes (unfrosted) are ok to freeze but for how long?......

It does depend a bit on the recipe used but generally they can be fzn up to 3 months if wrapped well.   Even iced ones:)

Cakes, as K8 said, depend on the flavor, recipe and filling as to 1) IF they can be fzn and 2) for how long.  Are the cakes from a mix or totally scratch?  I have fzn mix cakes layers up to 3 months as long as they are well wrapped.  If you are talking a completely decorated - ready to sell -cake you are talking a shelf life of 3 days max - but again, does it have a filling &/or icing that does not need refrigeration?  Keeping it at room temp for a day, frig'ing for the night then out to room temp is not helping extend the shelf life.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 18 Jun 2018 , 1:06am
post #5 of 5

I would check into buying or renting refrigerated bakery display case. Ebay has some countertop or floor models at a reasonable price. Consider restaurant or bakery auctions for one. I would not leave cookies or cakes sitting out . Do you know for sure how far in advance did your baker make these items? How were the items kept before you received them, were they refrigerated, left out a day or so before coming to you?  My number #1 rule is protect my customers  but also myself. Just be cautious and good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%