Salted Carmel Icing Recipe

Baking By CakeRN Updated 20 Jun 2018 , 1:06am by bubs1stbirthday

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 3:23am
post #1 of 7

I made a batch of cupcakes with salted Carmel icing many years ago. I can't find my recipe or even remember any part of it. Does anyone have a recipe for salted Carmel icing (frosting)?  I want to do a test recipe for a Carmel cupcake or even use it on chocolate cupcakes for a possible baby shower in two weeks. The Carmel cake is just a white cake with butterscotch pudding added to it. Does that sound right?  Thanks for any help. 

6 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have a recipe for you but what I do is flavor plain buttercream with whatever I want it to taste like. Make your usual buttercream and then add in a little bit of salted caramel sauce a tablespoon at a time until you get your desired taste. You could make your own caramel sauce from Google for buy some or even melt soft caramel and add some salt.Just make sure it is cooled down before you add it to your buttercream Iwould use that with chocolate cupcakes to get a contrast in taste. 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 7

I don't have a recipe for you but what I do is flavor plain buttercream with whatever I want it to taste like. Make your usual buttercream and then add in a little bit of salted caramel sauce a tablespoon at a time until you get your desired taste. You could make your own caramel sauce from Google for buy some or even melt soft caramel and add some salt.Just make sure it is cooled down before you add it to your buttercream Iwould use that with chocolate cupcakes to get a contrast in taste. 

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 7

I once made SMBC using dark brown sugar instead of white sugar and added some extra salt as it finished up.  It might not fit the actual definition of salted caramel, but it was yummy. 

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 9:54am
post #5 of 7

thanks everyone...

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 19 Jun 2018 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 7

I do the same as whatthedogate.  Just add caramel ice cream topping until you get the taste you want.  May have to add more sugar.  Can't tell it is not made from scratch and way easier!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Jun 2018 , 1:06am
post #7 of 7

Butterscotch flavouring is the bomb for making caramel icing (In my opinion anyway :-) ), add a bit of sea salt to it and it's delicious.

Brown sugar SMBC would also get my vote before amping it up with the butterscotch and sea salt.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%