Traveling From La To Park City Utah With A Wedding Cake

Decorating By darcie983 Updated 17 Jun 2018 , 10:28pm by kakeladi

darcie983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcie983 Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 3

Happy Thursday everyone! 

Man been a long time since I have been on here but I figured this was the perfect place to ask my question. I am making a friends wedding cake and we are driving it to Utah (mother in law and I love road trips-for real LOVE HER). The wedding is on a Friday and we are starting our journey on Wednesday. We are slated to be in Park City by Thursday afternoon. The cake will feed about 100-110 ppl and is a semi-naked lemon cake with strawberry and cream filling. Here are my many questions:

1. Do I fill and freeze the cakes, wrapped REALLY REALLY well? Or am I better off torting, freezing, making the fillings in advance and taking them and assembling there?

2. If that is the case, should I fill a cooler with dry ice to keep it nice for the 2 day drive? Yes we know its a 9-10 hour drive but we kinda wanted to see ppl on the way, hence the two days. 

3. What would YOU do in either case?

I am always interested in seeing/reading how others would approach this same situation. 

Thanks in advance everyone!

2 replies
TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 3

I think I would torte, have everything done but put together there.  Dry Ice would be perfect for keeping everything cold/froze. I I think you will be happier if you do it this way.

Road Trip sounds fun!  Enjoy 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 3

I have never used dry ice.   I often made cold boxes with fz'ing baggies full of water and using one box larger than another one put those water bottles between them w/the cake in the smaller one.  (The cake is in a cakebox, well wrapped in a plastic bag or plastic wrap)  Then the cold box is well wrapped in blankets.  Don't know how warm the vehicle might get - especially overnight w/your planned stops - but a cold box worked well for me on  8-10 hr trips.  Hope that helps some.   For a 2 - 2 1/2 day trip I'd probably to as much before leaving as possible:  fill (if room temp stable) and crumb coat - maybe even finish ice the tiers to be put together on site.  That way  you don't have to take so many tools with you to work your magic - be sure you have adiquet place to work :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%