Professional Mixes And Add Ins

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 17 Jun 2018 , 10:58pm by MamaGeese

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 24

Just wondering if anyone that uses pro mixes add anything extra to batter. My favorite mix is from Global Sugar Arts, perfect texture as is, although I do add additional flavorings, mix only calls for water and oil. Didn't know if you could replace some of the water with something that would have a little more richness than just water?

23 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 12:49am
post #2 of 24

Sure you can replace some or all of the water w/all kinds of purees or liquids - cream, juice, soda pop, and more.  You can add pudding mix; dry jello; koolaid, some egg; those will not change the batter much, if at all.  Don't be afraid to experiment some.   If you do, cut down on the total amount you make - like instead of a whole bag, just do enough for one or 2 pans.  Don't forget to make exact notes of what you do for future reference.

MamaGeese Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 1:09am
post #3 of 24

Thank you!! 

MamaGeese Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 1:09am
post #4 of 24

Thank you!! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 24

a cake with perfect texture. Wow,  I'm going to have to try the GSA mix.  Perfect texture is a very nice thing.

Consider adding rich fillings to several torte layers for more richness and let the perfect cake shine.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 24

you could use milk but be advised it dumbs down chocolate kwim -- dark fudge cake becomes less dark -- devil's food cake gets milder -- but milk is nice for cakes to richen it --

but mbalaska has the best idea

MamaGeese Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 24

I've tried several brands and theirs just made the most beautiful, moist cake with a tight texture even though it's very light. I subbed salted butter for oil, and added vanilla and almond extracts , because it is a little bland as is, but with icing it'll be great. I really think that cake mix is going to change how I do things, and I've ALWAYS been a scratch snob.  I can't wait to try their chocolate and yellow mixes. Thanks cake friends. 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2018 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 24

i wrote out this whole post and it disappeared grrr -- but anyway --

if you refrigerate your cakes the butter can make them seem 'dry' -- they're not because you can loosen it back up with a few seconds in the microwave but it's not my favorite fat for cakes that need to be delivered because i deliver cold cake -- and i store all my cakes in the fridge too -- so just for you to know -- oil is more versatile, makes a more tender cake and you could try some butter flavor as a substitute if you want --

just a thought

MamaGeese Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 12:34am
post #9 of 24

I'm having the same problem,  this site just drops on me all the time. 

MamaGeese Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 24

I was just shocked at how much better it tasted with that stick of butter, do you have a favorite brand of butter flavoring? I have Watkins and it just tastes  so artificial.  Also, regarding all the holes and air bubbles (which drive me mad) I came across a baker that said half way through your baking time, open oven door and tap sides of pan with butt end of a butter knife. I was so scared it would make cake fall, but it didn't and it worked! It didn't get all of them, but it looked so much better, and I've tried everything!  Also, I think it was from kakeladi to bake WASC at 300 for 20 minutes, and then bump it up to 325.. I think that helped too. So I'm in an experimental phase right now.....

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 24

I use oil in the cakes -- I use all butter icing and it's no problem to get the full impact of the real butter flavor -- and smell -- my cakes aromatherapy the area with butter and vanilla impact --

I worked for seessel's grocery store here in Memphis and -- their chocolate cake was really really good -- one day I ate a bite of plain cake -- it tasted like poo, really did -- so I added the icing and it was the same great flavor/taste sugar buzz I already knew & loved -- it amazed me how the icing masked the cake which was full of stabilizers -- which was made from scratch I might add --

but the cakes I baked to sell taste fine on their own -- they are very good to eat alone -- then add the rich icing and away you go -- so there's that for what it's worth --

and to make all butter icing work in summer weather and in any delivery -- use climate controlled packaging and deliver cake cold from the fridge -- because even in 70 degree weather inside a closed car the temperature can rise to over 100 degrees in 30 minutes -- so if you got stopped on the side of the road and your cake wasn't sealed in a box...

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 1:54pm
post #12 of 24

but for the holes in your cake -- don't go over 4 or 5 speed to beat the mix on the mixer -- that should help too -- but you probably already do that -- just saying

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 24

so all that to say I don't use butter flavor in cake --

MamaGeese Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 24
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 5:58pm
post #15 of 24

if it's not letting you post, mg, you can message me or anyone you want --

MamaGeese Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 11:19pm
post #16 of 24

has anyone ever used those thin metal cake pan covers you leave in place while cake bakes? I've used them and they totally eliminate holes . Looks good , cake is level. but it's almost too dense.. I even read you can tap your cake pans with a butter knife halfway through baking time to break them up, that worked too, but not 100%. I have driven everyone on here crazy over these #%^*|~* holes....I hate them, am I being too fussy? Do people even care? 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2018 , 11:55pm
post #17 of 24

i don't care about a few bubbles but my cakes don't have a lot if at any at all -- no what metal covers -- never heard of this

no i'm already crazy 

MamaGeese Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 24

I just don't understand why I continue to get them? I'm doing everything !! Those cake pan covers were metal discs the size of your pan, you snapped them on, and leave them on for the whole baking time. It keeps the cake level and forces the air bubbles to break while baking from the slight pressure. It did make a level cake with no holes, but it made the cake taste steamed, yuck....but I have heard of people doing the same thing by covering pans with foil. 

MamaGeese Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 24

Also wondering how far in advance I can work on a wedding cake I'm doing. There's a lot of tedious fondant work on it, four tiers, if I worked on it as early as Thursday would it still be fresh on Saturday? I just don't want to be frazzled at the last minute, I start freaking out! 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 6:05pm
post #20 of 24

just depends on how your cake performs -- I use a modified wasc and I know it will hold that long -- but there you go right there -- the butter in your mix probably will make your cake firmer once you fridge it and it comes back to room temp -- that's been my experience with butter cakes --  anhis is exactly why I use an oil cake - so I can schlep it back & forth out of the fridge --

you need to test your cake and see how it holds

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 24

*and this

MamaGeese Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 8:52pm
post #22 of 24

Would you like to share your modified WASC

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 9:16pm
post #23 of 24

sure --

• duncan hines white cake mix (I use 18 oz -- i'm sure one box of it will work as well)
  • 3 egg whites
  • I egg
  • 1.3 cups water
  • 1 cup self rising flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons oil

bake at 350 -- lower temperature at end of bake until the middle is set -- particularly for large cakes

MamaGeese Posted 17 Jun 2018 , 10:58pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks! I'll try that! I have 3 cakes on my table now, all variations of WASC..(none exactly like yours though) l keep walking by grabbing a bite and trying to figure out which I like best, they are all good, I didn't ice any of them but I'm sure that would put it over the top! I'm not sure if any of them beat Global Sugar Arts mix though, it's not as rich tasting as the WASC , but the cake itself is beautiful and just melts in your mouth. See how I talk in circles

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%