Some Sugar That Looks Like Glass

Decorating By rdevon Updated 13 Jun 2018 , 1:20pm by -K8memphis

rdevon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdevon Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 14

I want to make a lap top cake and I want the screen to look like glass. Is their a product I can use?

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 14

the easiest thing to do is get some jolly ranchers and melt them in the oven on foil like three hundred degrees or three fifty or so -- 

how big do you need it?

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 14

and this is dangerous stuff-- can burn the bejesus out of you and some of the glass cups can shatter but all that to say I've made this many times -- easy peasy

http://www.lorannoils.com/icicle-candy-r0195

rdevon Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 14

Probably the screen should be 4" x 6". Thank you. After you melt it, what do you do? I would want it pretty squared on the edges.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 14

well a mold would be nice -- but honestly you can get your edges with the trim around the screen -- If you want the screen to be the total edge of the laptop you'll probably need a mold -- 

what I was suggesting is melt the jolly ranchers or whatever hard candy on some aluminum foil -- then after it cools you can remove the foil and voila

rdevon Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 14

Oh yes. That'll work! Thanks so much for your expertise! Nice of you to share. So you mean, make an edge around the foil and pour the mixture in there, right? Sort of like making a mold out of the foil. But then trim the screen with fondant to make it more truly square.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2018 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 14

exactly -- i'd use a heavy duty foil and don't get any wrinkles in it where the screen is -- they will show but if you want a glare on to show on your screen -- you know what to do -- and I think you can grease the foil -- y'know a light pam spray thing -- don't worry if it doesn't work the first few times -- you can re-melt -- and make an extra one or two too --

you are very welcome

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 2:56am
post #8 of 14

What about using baking paper instead of foil?

You could draw the shape you need on the paper, flip the paper so the drawing is on the back and then put the crushed lollies inside your shape roughly.

Baking paper wont wrinkle like foil and it will also peel off the hard lollies easily after you have melted and cooled them.

rdevon Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 6:36am
post #9 of 14

Thank you for the suggestion but I will need the edge that foil will provide and in my experience parchment paper does rather ruffle under moisture.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 8:03am
post #10 of 14

I have poured hot rock candy on it several times and it has never wrinkled on me but I can see where you want the foil for the edge. I do wonder (and I am sure K8 can tell us :-) if the foil will stick and be hard to get off once the lollies set up.

rdevon Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 8:35am
post #11 of 14

Probably you would have to spray the foil with Pam or something.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 14

the foil peels off -- yes I spray mine -- but they have non-stick foil too -- not sure how heavy duty it is -- but I've used regular foil too -- heavy duty foil is not essential

rdevon Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 14

Than you K8memphis. I will not be doing this until September but I will let you know how it goes.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2018 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 14

practice now blush if you can

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%