Help! My Wasc Chocolate Wedding Cake Falls In The Middle!

Baking By ssthebest Updated 4 Jun 2018 , 3:07am by SandraSmiley

ssthebest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssthebest Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 2:09am
post #1 of 11

I haven't made a WASC Cake for a couple of years.  My neighbor asked me to make a Chocolate cake for her Wedding.  The White Duncan Hines mixes worked fine a couple years ago even after they change to the 12 oz. box mix.  Now these chocolate Duncan Hines keep falling.  Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?   

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 3:22am
post #2 of 11

I use a slightly different recipe for chocolate WASC, but I have had problems with it sinking in the middle, too.  I used to bake at 325 degrees and I used baking strips.  I've elminated the use of baking strips and upped my temp to 340 degrees and always use a heating core (or you could use a flower nail) for every cake., one for a 6", three for 8" and 10".  I rarely make larger tiers, but if I were making a 12" or 14", I would use four or five heating cores.  This combination of things has pretty much eliminated the sinking problem.

ssthebest Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 4:19am
post #3 of 11

May I ask which recipe you used?   I tried again tonight with the original recipe from Kakladi that has 3 whole eggs instead of egg whites. Is that the one you use? It did just a little better but still sank.  I really appreciate your advice.  I will try tomorrow and not use the strips.  I only used one flower nail in a 10 inch so I will change to 3 and up the temperature.  It gives me hope that you have had success!

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 11

This is a large recipe, but easily halved.

2 dark chocolate cake mixes, plus 1 cup from a third box, due to reduced size of boxes, 2 cups cake flour, 2-1/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 packages chocolate fudge pudding mix, 6 whole eggs, 2 cups sour cream, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup chocolate milk, 1/3 cup oil, 2 teaspoons chocolate extract and 2 teaspoons vanilla or butter extract.

Notes:  I use DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix for the best flavor, instant cocoa added with other dry ingredients, increasing the amount of water by slightly less than one cup.  Instead of brewed coffee, I use instant expresso mixed with three cups of water (to replace the 2 cups of coffee and 1 cup of chocolate milk)

Be sure and grease your flower nails or cake cores so they come out of the cake easily.

This recipe is a pain with all the ingredients, but boy does it have a fantastic chocolate flavor, is moist and everyone loves it.  That is why I persisted trying to eliminate the sunken center.  It is worth the trouble.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 11

I use self rising flour and eliminate salt and any additional leavening -- but for making chocolate I would sub in some cocoa powder  -- but I usually don't extend chocolate cake 

ssthebest Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks so much for taking time to respond!  I will try all these ideas!  

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jun 2018 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 11

You are very welcome!  Good luck!

ssthebest Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 1:06am
post #8 of 11

Sandra, You are amazing for taking the time to send the whole recipe, Thank you. 

I do have one more question.  You said you increase the amount of water by slightly less than one cup but other than the espresso mixed with three cups of water I don't see water in the recipe. Do you just add a little less than one cup of water to the three cups in the espresso?   

Is the 1/3 cup cocoa powder in addition to the instant cocoa?  If so, how much instant cocoa?  (Sorry for so many questions!)  

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11

Sorry, I was afraid this would be confusing.  Use 1/3 cup of Hersey's Cocoa powder.  The instant cocoa is the stuff you use to make instant hot chocolate by adding hot water.  It comes in foil envelopes with one serving per pack, which is usually about 6 ounces.  I use two envelopes, since the recipe calls for one cup of chocolate milk.  The bit of extra chocolate doesn't hurt a thing.  Since the instant cocoa mix is a powder, I just sift it with my other dry ingredients.  The recipe calls for two cups of coffee. I either use strong coffee or make two cups with instant expresso, then just add one extra scant cup of water which was not used to mix up the instant cocoa.  

The recipe requires three cups total of liquid, two of coffee and one of chocolate milk (which is made with water because the instant mix already has powdered milk in it).  If it is less confusing, just make two cups of coffee and one cup of instant chocolate milk (using water, not hot!).

Hope that makes more sense, lol.  

ssthebest Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 2:36am
post #10 of 11

Perfect!  Thank you!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2018 , 3:07am
post #11 of 11

De nada!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%