Modeling Chocolate Covered Cake - How Far Ahead Can I Make?

Decorating By chudimac11 Updated 1 Jun 2018 , 12:43am by KitchenSix

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 31 May 2018 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 4

I've seen posts about modeling chocolate figurines holding out for awhile, but I want to do taco shells out of modeling chocolate with cake and buttercream inside.  How far ahead can I possibly make this (the further the better)?  I have to travel ten hours and then the even is not for a couple more days after we get there.  What is the best way to do this?  Should I freeze and transport in a cooler with dry ice or will that create too much condensation?  Should I refrigerate and just transport out of sunlight in a box in an air conditioned car?  Can I leave on the counter for a week or more?  Thanks in advance!

3 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 31 May 2018 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 4

Make it out as far as you want! Just make sure that it is properly packaged so that it doesn’t pick up any weird odors, and keep it frozen.

For transport, I’d keep it frozen in a cooler, and then just transport as cold as you can.  I’d opt for bagged ice or freeze packs on the bottom, and a couple towels over those, and then your chocolate, depending on how hot it is out.

Condensation will probably happen on your chocolate regardless, but just leave it be and it will evaporate off.

chudimac11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chudimac11 Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:28am
post #3 of 4

Oh that's good to hear.  We were thinking a little dry ice to help keep the cake frozen.  How do you thaw modeling chocolate?  Just in the fridge for a day then countertop for a few hours?

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:43am
post #4 of 4

I’m not sure how dry ice would work, but I’m sure that’ll still work, too!

I always thaw anything out from freezer to fridge to counter to help prevent too too much condensation (I live in humid OK), but I personally would keep the chocolate cold as long as I possibly could before serving.  If it’s just modeling chocolate you need to roll, you could always microwave it a few seconds at a time right out of the freezer, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%