Anyone Have Any Advice On How To Make Ram Horns? Picture Attached.

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 1 Jun 2018 , 12:35pm by KitchenSix

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 31 May 2018 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 6

They don't have to look exactly like this just wondering how to get (and keep!) the basic shape. I'm thinking some underlying form (maybe copper pipe?) covered with rice crispy treats and then fondant. Any thoughts or ideas/Anyone Have Any Advice On How To Make Ram Horns? Picture Attached.

5 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 1:09am
post #2 of 6

I think that your idea is spot on! I’ve also seen people use foil for gravity defying or complicated shapes, as well.  Albeit, it wouldn’t be edible.  You could also use modeling chocolate or fondant for it, too.  Man About Cake on YouTube has an octopus cake that he makes using copper wire and chocolate for the tentacles.  It might be worth watching.

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 10:56am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the tip about Man About Cake. I watched the video - that was really helpful. My husband thinks we can do it without an underlying structure but I'm too worried it will collapse. Any opinion?

KitchenSix Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 11:43am
post #4 of 6

If you tried it without a structure, you’ll definitely want to mold it over something to help keep the shape, and then probably keep those supports under it when you attach it to the cake, depending on how heavy and dried out they get.

Honestly, I wouldn’t attempt this without an internal support, and I’d also make sure that those supports were attached to your cake board and not just the cake; those horns just look big and heavy to me!

Keep in mind, though, that I’ve never sculpted anything or have needed to use extra supports (yet!), so I may be off.  But looking at it, that’s what comes to mind, and is probably how I would attempt it.  Can never be too careful!

Cake-Girl1968 Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 6

I think you're spot on! Thank you!

KitchenSix Posted 1 Jun 2018 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 6

You’re welcome! You’ll have to update everyone on how it goes! I’d love to see it when it’s finished.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%