How Much To Charge For A 4 Tier Fondant Wedding Cake?

Business By Melissakaykimball Updated 29 May 2018 , 9:41pm by kakeladi

Melissakaykimball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissakaykimball Posted 29 May 2018 , 2:09am
post #1 of 12

I need some help deciding what to charge for this cake. I made it as a gift for my sister’s wedding and am just getting my business started.  I’ve now had several people ask what I would charge for a cake like this and I want to be sure I don’t under or over price it.  It is a 12”-10”-8”-6” French vanilla cake with raspberry and white chocolate mousse filling, covered in Swiss meringue buttercream and fondant with edible lace and pearls.  I was thinking around $400?  Is that reasonable or am I way off?  I had a lot of people at the wedding tell me that it was the best cake they had ever tasted, so I’m confident in my skills, just unsure of what it is worth and what people would actually pay?  Any advice is much appreciated!How Much To Charge For A 4 Tier Fondant Wedding Cake?How Much To Charge For A 4 Tier Fondant Wedding Cake?

11 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 29 May 2018 , 4:53am
post #2 of 12

Minus the flowers, I would probably charge about $500.  If I could ever choke that number out, haha.  Maybe even a little more the filling.  But at least $500.

KitchenSix Posted 29 May 2018 , 4:54am
post #3 of 12

For the*

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2018 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 12

There are so many factors involved in pricing with your location being key.  Like KitchenSix, I would charge at least $500 and I live in a very rural area of Tennessee.  If those were sugar flowers instead of real ones, the price would be more like $650.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2018 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 12

And the question about whether or not people will pay, if they don't want to pay the price, they can always go to Walmart.  Most people haven't a clue how much it costs to make a giant, custom decorated cake or the many hours that go into the creation.  Do not sell yourself short!  Cake decorating is not an easy job and your talent and labor deserve reasonable compensation.

SandraSmiley Posted 29 May 2018 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 12

And the question about whether or not people will pay, if they don't want to pay the price, they can always go to Walmart.  Most people haven't a clue how much it costs to make a giant, custom decorated cake or the many hours that go into the creation.  Do not sell yourself short!  Cake decorating is not an easy job and your talent and labor deserve reasonable compensation.

KitchenSix Posted 29 May 2018 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 12

I think $650 would be much closer! I forgot to factor in the filling price the first time.

Definiteky don’t sell yourself short! It’s better to lose a sale than stress and regret about undercharging.  That being said, I am making my sister’s wedding cake for free in a couple years.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2018 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 12

that's 135 servings times $5 for it being fondant covered is way over $500 -- i mean five dollars per is a pretty normal price -- as far as the décor -- you gotta charge for the flowers unless they were provided -- often they are so it all matchy matches --

as far as any other upcharge for the décor -- I mean it's gotta get decorated with something and that décor does not involve a great deal of extra time -- I mean you figure a couple hours at least to decorate a cake which is already included in the price per serving -- you could tweak the price per serving  fifty cents or a dollar if you feel making the lace or the fillings deserves extra -- but you always wanna be careful about not nickel & diming people too --

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2018 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 12

I love that plateau

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2018 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 12

I really like it has so many extra fee too not to mention it's already so pretty -- but didja ever use one of those things with three feet? what were they thinking?? I had one foot break off once -- no es Bueno -- hahahah

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2018 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 12

You did a super beautiful job on that!   Do listen to what the others have said.  DO NOT UNDERprice yourself!  Yes, there is much that hasn't been mentioned that goes into deciding on a price so it's important to listen to us 'wise old owls' :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2018 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 12

With more information - like your location, what the 'going price' is in your area; how much *exactly* have you invested in ingredients, and other things like boards, boxes, time, travel to deliver, etc, etc, etc  we might be able to hlep you more accurately but you need to take the time to figure all of that out yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%