Cupcake Bouquet (Sorta) - Question

Decorating By hula1974 Updated 29 Jun 2018 , 10:06pm by -K8memphis

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 22 May 2018 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 14

I'll be making a cupcake display in the shape of a roller coaster and have been brainstorming how to achieve this so the whole thing doesn't come crashing down as the cupcakes are removed.

So, I thought maybe the same techniques used in bouquets could be helpful here.  I'd love some advice!

Some things to keep in mind:

- this is for kids so I'm ok to use toothpicks but I need to be sure the toothpicks don't come out with the cupcake when a kid takes one to eat.

- the roller coaster will be cut out of wood and the top lined with pool noodles so I can stick into it.

- I'm open to the idea of having a clear cup that stays on the pool noodle and the cupcake sits in but I need the cupcakes to be easy enough to get out.

- they will be minis and I'll keep the piping simple so I can set it up and pipe afterwards.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?  I'm kind of scared!  TIA

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2018 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 14

cut it out of foam instead of wood -- get a sheet of insulation foam at a big box hardware store

hula1974 Posted 22 May 2018 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 14

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 hour ago

cut it out of foam instead of wood -- get a sheet of insulation foam at a big box hardware store

Ok, that's interesting!  Curious why you suggest that?

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2018 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 14

it eliminates a whole step -- you only have to cut the foam in the roller coaster silhouette -- decorate the bottom y'know with lattice looking supports like they have -- you can stick the cupcakes right into it -- much easier to handle than the wood -- pool noodles are not user friendly -- you can make the tracks right on the surface -- attach it all to a nice foam core board for stability -- done -- you can paint it or cover it with paper and draw on it

that's what I would do

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2018 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 14

I have foam cutters that heat up -- but even when I would take foam in the back yard and whack on it with a regular knife -- it would still be easier -- and then you can sand it too --

hula1974 Posted 22 May 2018 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 14

Totally get it now!  Awesome.

But, should I have any concerns about insulation that close to food?  Assuming you mean put toothpicks right in the foam and set the cupcakes on top.

-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2018 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 14

well it's foam not fibrous or anything like a lot of insulation can be -- I don't think you should have any concerns -- and anything like that that I would use would be all sanded down and smoothy smooth and covered in icing or fondant or -- I guess I've never painted any that I can remember -- but -- it's fun to think of making the little tracks for the cars to ride on too -- I mean -- dummy cakes are foam right?

hula1974 Posted 26 May 2018 , 12:09am
post #8 of 14

Thank you.  Yes, I want to paint it to create the look of the roller coaster.  Maybe that would seal up the foam well enough!

-K8memphis Posted 26 May 2018 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 14

there are products you can get to seal the foam up -- coat them -- lookie here --  and check out the cool hot wire cutters & stuff too -- but I have made tons of stuff with just a knife & sanding paper --

https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/foam-coats/

hula1974 Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 14

Cupcake Bouquet (Sorta) - QuestionCupcake Bouquet (Sorta) - Question

hula1974 Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you all for the help with this!!!  

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 14

Oh my gosh! That came out sooooo cute!!!  Was this for a classroom celebration?  You are awesome.  Great job!

hula1974 Posted 28 Jun 2018 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 14

Thank you!

Yes, my son's 6th grade graduation.  They had a Boardwalk theme.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2018 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 14

pool noodle!  it's amazing -- he had to be delighted -- wonderful work! love it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%