Fondant S.o.s.

Decorating By Kayesmithdesigns Updated 20 May 2018 , 8:58pm by gscout73

Kayesmithdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayesmithdesigns Posted 18 May 2018 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I’m throwing up the white flag here. I’ve done a lot of fondant cakes but recently I’ve had a run of bad luck. The fondant is wanting to shred, like completely discombobulate. IF I can even get it on the cake it starts shredding as it sits until there are holes in it and it’s falling off the cake. Is my cake too cold? Is the fondant too overworked? Maybe too much dye? I’m using Wilton fondant and a combo of Wilton color and Sunnyside Bakery gel color (from Hobby Lobby). I’ve tried shortening and cornstarch thinking it was too dry or too moist. This cake is due tomorrow, help!! Fondant S.o.s.Fondant S.o.s.

4 replies
bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 18 May 2018 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 5

The fondant looks really really dry. I don't know if you'll be able to save this batch at this point, But you can try just wetting your hands and kneading the fondant. Repeat over and over agan till you see some improvement.

If you have more white fondant, You could use that to cover the cake and then paint it whatever colour you need. It doesn't take long. If even your white fondant is wanting to tear on you, try panelling instead of draping the fondant over the top of the cake

melbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melbakescakes Posted 19 May 2018 , 1:24am
post #3 of 5

I’m guessing too much color was added, when I try to make brown it looks like that too. It also looks dry so adding shortening might help but this batch is probably unusable.

good luck! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2018 , 1:33am
post #4 of 5

If you have glycerin, it should recover it nicely, if it is too dry.  Just squeeze a good dollop onto the fondant and knead it in.  Add more until you get it the way you want it.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 May 2018 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 5

I'm with Sandra, looks like it's list it's pliability and may need some glycerine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%