Am I Charging Too Much?

Business By amblake91 Updated 28 May 2018 , 1:18am by kcp2264

amblake91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amblake91 Posted 17 May 2018 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 13

I had a lady tell me my price of $320 was insane for the following order she wanted:

4 dozen themed cupcakes

2 dozen fondant decorated cookies

2 dozen royal icing decorated cookies

3 tier themed cake

2 tier themed cake

2 themed smash cakes

Is my pricing really that insane or should I just tell her to go somewhere else if she doesn't like the price?

12 replies
bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 17 May 2018 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 13

Ok so I'm not in America, and I don't know about American prices, but I do know that cost of living and hence prices are much lower where I am. I would charge $500 dollars for that.

I know my opinion has no real meaning since I'm so far removed from your situation, but this customer's comments are so outrageous I just had to jump in. Literally could not resist.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 17 May 2018 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 13

I agree - that is completely insane pricing. It's way too low!!   :)

I'd be charging at least that, probably more (in Aus $) for just the themed cupcakes.

All up it'd be well over a grand!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 18 May 2018 , 1:28am
post #4 of 13

Your price is super low!!!!! She was getting a steal on everything she wanted. Please take some time to reevaluate your pricing. For me, the 2 tier cake alone could very well be 320.00. 

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 18 May 2018 , 3:51am
post #5 of 13

Definitely way, way too low!

KitchenSix Posted 18 May 2018 , 3:52am
post #6 of 13

Omg, that’s the first time I comment ever posted!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 18 May 2018 , 11:34am
post #7 of 13

Way, way, WAAAAYYYYYYY too low!!  How would you even make any money off of that order?!  That price should be tripled!

KitchenSix Posted 18 May 2018 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 13

I agree with Freckles0829! And if she comes to her senses and decides she wants you to bake all that, I’d let her know that after re-evaluating, you can no longer do it for the original price quoted.  That’s assuming she said ‘no’.

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 19 May 2018 , 12:21am
post #9 of 13

I agree with every one!  She was getting a steal if that was the price.  She should shut up and be considered lucky.  We charge $36 a dozen for cupcakes decorated, 3 tier would start at $380 with just a ribbon, 2 Tier is $180 up to at least $300 depending on what they want.  Our smash cakes are 6' 2 layers and are starting at $35 which has just rosettes or something simple.  The cookies we would price like the CC's 

So you should let her walk and move on.  I also agree with everyone that you need to re-think your pricing and let that client know it if they come back.  I don't think you are valuing your time that you are working. I have always found that the smaller the item the more time it takes.  So that means the cookies CC's mini or large.

Easily that order should have been priced at least a minimum of $800, plus a delivery charge. Even more if she called me insane!!! LOL

Good Luck!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2018 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13

I would charge that much for the three tier themed cake alone and I live in a very rural area.  I would definitely tell her to take it or leave it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2018 , 10:03pm
post #11 of 13

You don't say where you are so we can't really be totally sure of our advice.     NO your price is not too high and as the others said, probably too low.     Not everyone can afford a specially decorated cake.  When someone screams like that they don't have an inkling of what it takes to produce all of that! 

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 27 May 2018 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 13

I really don't know where you live but where ever you are that's way tooooooooo low. I'm in Toronto and I charge $350 just for a 2 tiered cake (8"&6"), $80 for smash cake, $3 min for cupcakes and $2.5 for cookies. So I wouldn't charge less than $1000. Is she for real? I'd definitely tell her that your price just went up or she can go somewhere else. If I were you I recalculate all the expenses. Even if my work is not as good as others, I mean just the ingredients, delivery boxes, cardboard, etc will probably be more than that. Think of the time you will spend working. You are definitely losing money.

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 28 May 2018 , 1:18am
post #13 of 13

OMG she is out of her mind! I wouldn't even take the order....she sounds like pure trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%