Iso Red Velvet Cake Recipe/ Dh Complications

Baking By CalaMom Updated 16 May 2018 , 1:37am by jchuck

CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 15 May 2018 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 5

Good Afternoon Ladies ( And Gents)

I volunteered to make my Bestie a cake for her Birthday and she sent me the link. Everything seemed fine until I was reading the recipe and it calls for DH Red Velvet cake mix...scream My problem is the last few times (over the course of the last couple of years-through all types of weather) the cake has baked well and decorated well...until about an hour or so after I've done everything with it to make it look pretty (well decent)....when it COMPLETELY CAVES IN ON ITSELF.  Now I've tried doing everything fresh as well as my usual MO (Freezing the cake(s) until I'm ready to frost once it's cooled enough to touch) and I've used just about every other cake box mix as well as scratch made cakes....and DH seems to be the ONLY one I've had issues with like this... EVERY TIME!

So I was hoping any of you cake geniuses could once again save my butt and suggest tips that have helped you with this issue or with DH.... Or if any of you have a tried and true recipe that rivals (or exceeds) DH Red Velvet Cake? Her birthday is the 30th so I'm not in a huge rush.

Thank you guys (again :D) in advance <3

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2018 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I don't think a red velvet cake mix tastes anything like a real red velvet cake and I am not a cake mix snob and have tried DH red velvet.  To me, they lack the subtle chocolate taste and the tang from the buttermilk and vinegar.  I just made one and it is quite sturdy.  The only difference is that I only use enough food coloring to tint the chocolate dark red, not bright, fire engine red.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9295/red-velvet-cake/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 16 May 2018 , 1:19am
post #3 of 5

Here is the red velvet recipe I use. I doctor recipe slightly. Contains real beets and the juice. Recipe calls for cooked pureed beets. I use canned beets, so much easier. You can use the juice in the can and beets are already cooked. I only use 3/4 cup of buttermilk, instead of 1 cup the recipe calls for. I  make up the extra 1/4 cup using the beet juice. I also add 1/4 cup of yogurt, sour cream or mayo, either one will do. That makes a slightly denser, sturdier cake. Cake bakes a little longe with this addition. Everyone's oven bakes  differently. Usually takes 10-14 minutes longer with  yogurt addition. Of course, you can skip this step. It's necessary. Just my personal preference.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246027/red-velvet-cake-with-beets/

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 May 2018 , 1:32am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for sharing your recipe, June.  I've been wanting to try one of the original type recipes using beets and it is nice to know that it is a good one.  Can't wait to try it.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 16 May 2018 , 1:37am
post #5 of 5

I'm not a fan of food colouring in a cake. Like natural as possible. This recipe does call for red food colouring, but I eliminate it cause I use the beets and juice. I don't think I could make one of those rainbow cakes. I mean they look pretty and bright. But my oh my all that food colouring!!! Just can't get past that!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%