Is The Customer Always Right?

Business By moochified Updated 16 May 2018 , 5:51pm by SandraSmiley

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 15 May 2018 , 12:24am
post #1 of 6

Do you accept orders from customers who have designed their own and the design just seems weird or off from an artistic standpoint? 

I don’t love every cake that I do, but I usually do them without batting an eye. But I got a request from customer that just seemed “off” design-wise. I tried to steer her in a direction that I thought was better but she is insistent. Do I just shut up and do it? 

The request is for a book cake. She told me several titles that she likes so I sent her a sketch of a cake that included three of them. The top book I suggested we do 3-D toppers specific to the top book so it is like the book has come to life. She loved it but wants to add elements from a fourth book on top with the other book’s pieces. It just seems odd to to mix the two to me on one book? I may send her a different design that just includes elements from all four books  

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2018 , 12:40am
post #2 of 6

W/o seeing what you are trying to describe it's very hard for me to picture it.  I most likely would go ahead w/what she expects.  Of course offering her another option is good too.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 15 May 2018 , 5:23am
post #3 of 6

Can you offset the books and puts elements on the other books? I did this on my dr Seuss cake. 

Is The Customer Always Right?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 15 May 2018 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 6

I would be tempted to send her a sketch of what you think it should look like and then one that shows what she is describing to you and let her pick.  In the end, it doesn't matter if you think it looks "right" as long as the customer is happy and is getting what she is asking for.

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 15 May 2018 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 6

All great suggestions. Thank you so much!!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 May 2018 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 6

I agree that you should give her what she wants.  You might even surprise yourself and come up with a design that looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%