Frosting Mousse With Imbc And Fondant?

Decorating By chiqnorris Updated 7 May 2018 , 1:18pm by yortma

chiqnorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chiqnorris Posted 6 May 2018 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 2

Hey! Joined this purely to ask this question:

I'm making my mother's wedding cake. It's going to be lemon with lemon curd encased in lemon mousse. She wants it to look like a birch tree (You've seen that on pinterest I'm sure), and my first attempt at frosting it with ABC went well, except we hate how sweet it is. I'd love to use IMBC but I'm not sure if it will stick to the mousse well. I thought of a few options, would love some ideas.

1) Regular IMBC over the mousse, just decorate on that (not my fav option since i don't want the shine really but love the flavour).

2) IMBC over the mousse and with fondant "bark strips" stuck to it (Will it stick? will it melt off?)

3) Chocolate Ganache over the mousse, then IMBC and fondant bark?

4) something else?

would adding chocolate to IMBC stabilize it? It's an outdoor event, though I'm able to keep things chill if I need to. My biggest concern is the IMBC not sticking to the mousse or the fondant. I haven't worked with fondant or mousse a whole lot, so ideas and experiences are appreciated!

Thanks guys!

1 reply
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 7 May 2018 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 2

Are you putting mousse on the outside of the cake?   I have never tried that, but that might be awfully soft to support any kind of final coating.  Personally, I would make a cake with 3 or four layers of cake per tier, with alternating lemon curd and mousse between the layers, and frost the outside with SMBC or white chocolate ganache either as the final coating or as the under layer for fondant.  Unless my mental picture of mousse is off base, I think it is too soft and slippy slidey to support anything as an outer coating.  HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%