When Working With Fondant And Food Color In Jars, Do You Double Dip Your Toothpicks?

Decorating By lukbeealady Updated 4 May 2018 , 6:51pm by kakeladi

lukbeealady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukbeealady Posted 4 May 2018 , 12:33am
post #1 of 3

I have a bunch of Wilton food coloring gels in jars that requires using toothpicks to color my fondant/gum paste. In order to color a big batch of fondant or if I need to reach a deep color, I'd have to dip toothpicks in, what seems like over 50 times. Can you just use one toothpick and keep double dipping into the food color or do I really have to go through 50 toothpicks with each color? I don't want to be wasteful and it's only touching essentially sugar, right (?) but I also don't want to shorten its lifespan if I am contaminating it. What do you all do?

2 replies
whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 4 May 2018 , 1:25am
post #2 of 3

When I know I'll need a lot of gel to get a deep color, I'll use a very small spoon such as an 1/8 teaspoon.  Also have found that other gel color brands come in a squeeze bottle.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2018 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 3

Adding sugar through double dipping anything can cause Wilton paste colors to go bad.  Once I had gotton quite a lot of cake supplies from a lady who had to retire due to illness.  In there were at least a 1/2 dozen jars of color that were at that time some 20 yrs old and they were still good!  Taking care of your supplies will save you money.   The cost of a jar of color is $$ to the less than pennies you spend on using another toothpick :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%