Cake Tasting Set-Ups And Capture Rate

Business By 61999 Updated 4 May 2018 , 7:46pm by TruCake

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 2 May 2018 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 4

I have gone through the threads and read how some folks do their cake tastings.  I typically send them a link to my menu and ask them to select (3).  I keep frozen loaf cakes and thaw a portion out, then fill with ganache, fruit filling, or whatever the filling is according the cake they selected.  So in the end they have 3 different cake servings.  I does take me a little time to do it and I want a more effective way of doing this.

I have been really hesitant to just put little cubes or slices of cake with variety of fillings.  Mainly because of the presentation.  If you put all those filling in little plastic food cups, that's a lot of plastic waste.  And if you use cute ceramic dishes, more washing.  Do clients even like that presentation?  Do they care?  I would love to learn about your experience in your cake tastings.

Also, have you found something that has helped you increase your capture rate on clients?

Thank you!

3 replies
TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 3 May 2018 , 12:40am
post #2 of 4

We hate waste and mess too!  We do to tasting...it depends on how we feel as to which one.  They pick their flavors, we will do either mini cup cakes or 4'' 2 layer.  We do a Butter Cream and a SMBC and we allow them to taste our homemade fondant versus store bought.

I think you sell your clients, along with a great tasting product.  We do up to 4 flavors.  The reason,  if you offer 1 or 2 flavors maybe you're great at those 2...if you offer a few more I think it shows you can bake most anything!  

I think presentation is always a WOW factor!  Making them feel special is always a plus.  I think clients do care a lo at how we look, how our food looks and how it tastes.  Maybe wrong but we make a big deal out of tastings, they are 1st class

Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2018 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 4

When I was doing tastings I absolutetely went nuts with the waste of the cake!  People would usually take just one or two bites of a serving and throw out the rest:(  I don't thing people in general care much about the presentation - unless you are a very high end establishment.    I tried several ways and ended up serving  offering 1/2 of wedding serving and explained that it was just that by showing them a piece of styro (that I painted as if it were a slice of cake).  I also offered them to chose 3 flavors of cake & filling.   I worked mostly with b'cream  always offering one w/fondant so they could taste that.    As I watch the shows like 'cake wars' & 'cake hunters' etc. on t.v. I am appolled w/how large the servings are .

TruCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TruCake Posted 4 May 2018 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 4

I agree kakeladi...those huge pieces are not realistic at all!  I love the idea of the styro slice had not thought of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%