Canadian Attempting Anzac Biscuits--Help

Baking By sewsugarqueen Updated 25 Apr 2018 , 5:36pm by jchuck

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 3:18am
post #1 of 6

Have been attempting to make ANZAC biscuits here in Canada.  My 3rd batch turns out same as other two---too much spread and really brown on edges.  Have followed recipe and used all purpose flour.  Our Canadian flour is different  so I am wondering if I should use a stronger flour?  Could not find Lyle's golden syrup  ( they use to carry it in the grocery stores near Christmas time so I subbed light corn syrup>  Oven temp is 340*F = 170*C and at 10 minutes they really get almost too brown on edges.  

according to my pastry classes cookies spread too much because a) heat too low  or  b) too much sugar or c) too much butter

Can any Aussie or New Zealander cake bloggers help me?  Several of my friends children went to Australia for a year.  Wanted to give them a treat.

Taste is divine but I can't get a proper bake shape.  Thanks so much .

5 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 6

I found a Martha Stewart recipe. After checking several Aussie recipes, this is really close. Recipe does call for Lyle’s golden syrup, but any thick syrup will do.  I’m in Ontario, Canada, and I can purchase Lyle’s at Loblaws, Sobey’s and there is also a British shop near me too. But you need so little syrup in the recipe, any Canadian brand of corn syrup will do, like Bee Hive or Crown. Readily available and accessible in almost any Canadian grocery store.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 6

do your cookies spread?  that is the problem I am having....what temp do you bake at and how long?  I have done my cookies at 340*F for 8-10 minutes and they end up so flat.  Will check Sobey's for that lyle's syrup... the other stores..metro and superstore don't have it in here and I know I have see it before.  The taste of these cookies is great , I need to tame the baking of them.    appreciate your help thanks

jchuck Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 6

Silly me, I forgot to post the Martha Stewart recipe!!!

https://www.marthastewart.com/345469/anzac-biscuits

If you follow the recipe, I don’t think cookies will spread. Martha Stewart’s recipes are pretty tried and true. If your batter is too thin, or contains too much oil, cookies will spread. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 6

If you butter is too soft, it will cause your cookies to spread too much.  It might help to chill your batter for a few minutes before you pop it into the oven.

jchuck Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, Sandra is correct. Chilling your dough will definitely prevent your cookies from spreading. I generally chill my dough anyway. Makes for easier. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%