Disaster - Help!

Decorating By NAvery Updated 24 Apr 2018 , 9:01pm by SandraSmiley

NAvery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NAvery Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 8:10am
post #1 of 7

Hi ... Any help and advice would be much appreciated ... I had just finished crumb coating the top tier of my cake with ganache - perfectly! And then it happened ... I dropped the cake on the bench. I have managed to patch the cake up, but I have had to build one side of the top up with ganache to level it out. The ganache on one side is probably 1/4 inch higher on one side than the other. Will this hold up once dried and covered with fondant and decorated with large gumpaste roses? I’m just worried that when I remove it from my air conditioned kitchen to transport it that the ganache might soften and cause the top to sink. I don’t have the time to start again so any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 7

the only thing i can think of chill the cake in the fridge completely and seal it in a box for delivery -- as for the big flowers -- on the booboo tier -- place them on a board that is supported with dowel and just disguise the board with leaves or something

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 7

It depends on the ratio of your ganache, but 1/4 inch is not much and is probably OK if you use a firm ganache.  Can you level the top off by 1/4 inch and re-ganache the top?  That is probably the safest.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 7

I do tend to make my ganache very sturdy (must warm it in the microwave to apply to the cake), but it is the strongest part of my cake structure.  I believe it will be find, but -K8memphis's idea will take all the scary out of it. Go with the chilled cake and a cake board underneath the flowers.

NAvery Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice ... my Ganache is quite sturdy 2:1 ratio dark choc ... I’m thinking I will wait and apply the flowers on the top tier at the venue. I’m hoping it won’t be too hot on the day and that it will hold up! I just really panicked when The cake slipped out of my hands ... thank goodness it only fell to the bench and not the floor!  Thanks again ... I’m feeling much better today. 

NAvery Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much to everyone for your advice ... my Ganache is quite sturdy 2:1 ratio dark choc ... I’m thinking I will wait and apply the flowers on the top tier at the venue. I’m hoping it won’t be too hot on the day and that it will hold up! I just really panicked when The cake slipped out of my hands ... thank goodness it only fell to the bench and not the floor!  Thanks again ... I’m feeling much better today. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

From the sound of it, I don't think you have anything to worry about, NAvery.  Good idea adding the top flowers at the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%