Crisco Vs High Ratio Vs...store Brand...?

Decorating By saadi Updated 25 Apr 2018 , 1:43am by SandraSmiley

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! Im new to cake making. I just learned that crisco shouldnt be used for making frosting. People say it leaves a filmy greasy feel in the mouth...? and also it contains trans fat which is -1 I have used 50/50 of butter and crisco in one of my frostings and i actually liked it...didnt notice anything weird or nasty lol neither did my husband (mind you im not a pro i just make it for my family right now...anyway...but 0 trans fat sounds good to me...and ive looked at the prices of high ratio shortening and im thinking...its more for those who bake often/pros? ( and bc its sold in higher quantity than regular shortening and i dont think i need that much) I do want to continue making cakes and i actually dont really like the taste of buttercream (atleast mine doesnt taste all that great...). So my question is...should i stick to crisco? Should i switch to a 0 trans fat brand? Or should i invest in high ratio? 

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 10:19am
post #2 of 4

Crisco doesn't have any trans fats anymore, or well so little that they still get away with putting zero on their label... but maybe I am wrong... 

You can use it in your icing... but I don't do any 100% shortening icing... I like real butter...

As for the taste of your icing... if you don't like the flavor, ADD MORE extract... it may help...

The amount of vanilla I put in my icing is appalling to so many... let alone when I am layering flavors... Tablespoons upon Tablespoons... 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 4

...........ust learned that crisco shouldnt be used for making frosting............

This statement is rubbish! :(   Everybody's taste buds are different and to make such a blanket statement just isn't right.    I ran two different bakeries using icing made with Crisco and butter.   I had many repeat customers over years.  As AAtKT points out almost ALL shortenings has been required by the goverment to stop using transfats so whatever one you decide to use will be basically the same.   Also as AAtKT suggests increasing your flavoring will improve  the taste immencely.  I highly suggest using this recipe:  ......  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 1:43am
post #4 of 4

AAtkT and kakeladi nailed it, use more flavoring - yes, tablespoons upon tablespoons, lol!  Any shortening will leave more of a greasy feel in the mouth  than butter because it has a higher melting point.  Many people use buttercream made from all shortening for stability in hot weather (although no frosting is safe when it is hot).  When using all shortening, add butter extract to compensate, lots of butter extract!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%