Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18

Decorating By kstevens Updated 25 Apr 2018 , 10:49am by Marian64

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 21 Apr 2018 , 12:13am
post #1 of 28

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Crazy week for me and to top it all off, I've buggered up my back.  I had a birthday cake for a co-worker's wife today and am now working on one for my Mom's 70th on Sun.  I have pottery class in the morning so it might not be until Sun night that I have time to check in again as on top of the cake I'm also doing salads. There are not enough hours in my days for everything I take on!

Looking forward to seeing what you've all been up to!

Kelly 

27 replies
GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 21 Apr 2018 , 6:58am
post #2 of 28

Nothing for me this week. I'm currently baking and preparing for my co-workers baby shower next weekend. She is wanting a pregnant belly or bump cake. Unsure what it is actually called. lol. Think I am going to cover the belly in rosettes, and do a ruffle top over the chest area with a small off centered bow. I have a couple days left to decide. 

Excited to see what everyone else has done this week!

Carla83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla83 Posted 21 Apr 2018 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 28

I had my first official wedding cake this weekend even though I did a cake this exact size for a crazy huge gender reveal party in December.  A 14,10,6 semi-naked vanilla sour cream cake with all vanilla buttercream and 60 chocolate buttermilk cake cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting.  Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Apr 2018 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 28

Congratulations Carla83, the table looks nice and the cake is lovely.

sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 21 Apr 2018 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 28

Beautiful cake! I did my first toy story cake for my friends little boy 

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 1:22am
post #6 of 28

Love the cakes Carla and Sweettherapy.

Last week I got thrown for a loop. Our housing complex is getting a roofing project done so another tenant and us were given the option of moving into a smaller apartment with same bedroom number. Since my husband is sole wage earner in our family at this time we decided to go for it since the apartment also is cheaper. So exactly 2 months since we last moved I working on organizing for another move across the complex. I was planning on making figures this week but put it off due to the uncertainty of when we would be moving. by next Sunday fingers crossed Iwill besettled in where we plan to stay for a few years. THen back to cake prep for my son's party.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 3:30am
post #7 of 28

@Carla83 Beautiful cake. @sweettherapy what a cute cake bet they enjoyed it. 

@shdvl hope you get moved and settled in soon. Looking forward to seeing the cake for your son.

@kstevens my son use to tell me that “no” was a complete sentenced. I still take on more than I should. 

This was one of those week I should have said no or at least rescheduled the move. My niece needed help moving from Maine back to Texas. In March when we were planning the trip I forgot that I was scheduled to make a wedding cake for today. I baked and froze the cake last week. Flew to Maine on Friday and got back to Texas late Thursday. Plenty of time to finish the cake. At least it was simple and she wanted silk flowers. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 3:38am
post #8 of 28

Carla83. your cake is beautiful and your cupcakes sound delicious!  Great job, sweettherapy.  Your cake is so cute!

I am still working on collaboration pieces, so am unable to share anything.  I do have an Icing Smiles cake coming up next month.  It is Dr. Suess and I am knocking around ideas right now.

B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 4:05am
post #9 of 28

One of the cakes I made this weekend was this cigar themed cake. The lady sent me a couple pics from Pinterest and I did my best to make one as nice as the inspiration pics. I think it turned out pretty well and she seemed really happy with it :) Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18

sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 4:37am
post #10 of 28

Beautiful wedding and cigar cake!!! Icing smiles is the best :) make sure to post your cake when it comes up, I wish they called me more than once a year:/

B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 28

SandraSmiley I am doing an Icing Smiles next month as well! It will be my first and I am so happy to be doing it! I can’t wait to see yours :)

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Apr 2018 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 28

Lovely cake, Marian64!  Nice save!  

B.E.Sweetcakes, your cigar cake is wonderful!  What a theme!  

Sweettherapy,  this is only my second one (in years!) and this one is for the same little boy.  I made his cake last year, too.  I have a little of a delima.  The mom will be carrying the cake several states away for a family gathering.  She wants to transport it frozen, or starting out frozen anyway.  Everything I think of for decorations, 2D characters painted on fondant, painted fondant or 2D characters made from fondant layers, have the potential for being ruined being frozen and thawing out.  I may just do models which she can set on the cake once they arrive at their destination.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 6:00am
post #13 of 28

Lovely cakes everyone!! 

I can completely relate to needing to learn how to say 'no' more often. I'm getting better as I get older but I still struggle sometimes!

This week I had an old school wedding cake which was entirely fruitcake with sugar roses - a bit of a modern twist in that it was completely covered in SMBC. Then I had one of my recent favourite sorts of designs...  one of my impressionistic cakes with fresh flowers, I do love doing these ones!

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 12:44pm
post #14 of 28

Both of your cakes are stunning, me_me1, and so very different.  I love the testure and the sweet roses on the wedding cake, but I am crazy about the pallet knife type texture on the painted cake!

kstevens Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 28

@Carla83 I like the simplicity of your cake and the cupcakes do sound delish as Sandra has already said.

@sweettherapy  great job on the Toy Story cake!  You managed to incorporate so many key details in it.  The birthday boy must have loved it!

@Marian64 I don't do well sitting idle and am also very bad at saying no.  Right now I work full time, yoga one night a week, pottery two days a week and I play soccer.  Softball will soon be starting up and so that will be added in to the mix as well.   Your cake is beautiful! 

@B.E.Sweetcakes great job on your cigar cake!  I just noticed that the case is not fondant covered but rather nice smooth icing.

@me_me1 your wedding cake is very pretty and I am big fan of your impressionistic cakes!  The color palette as well as the texture are just so pretty!

My mom's birthday is the 29th and every year I vow to not take on any other cakes near it so I can focus on her cake and every year I fail!  Long story short I also failed this year because we ended up having her party a week early and a co-worker had requested a cake (months ago) for his wife for the Fri.  In the end mom's cake was plan "C" but I was so happy with how it turned out!

My co-worker said his kids thought the cake should be tea themed since his wife really liked tea.  He is Asian so I went with an Asian flare to the teapot with the red color and cherry blossom pattern on it.  The bamboo handle is wired inside to keep it's shape and the spout is a modeling chocolate/fondant mixture.

As I mentioned, the cake for my mom was plan "C" but in the end I loved how it turned out.  I used the same color scheme on a 70th birthday cake last summer for my boyfriend's mom and was really pleased with it so wanted to go that route again.  The topper is card stock that my boyfriend cut out for me.  The top two tiers are dummies and so I was able to prep them in advance.  The top tier is done using the Karen Davies Sugar Flower Mold.  It is so easy to use the details are amazing.  It's maybe not that obvious in the photo but the second tier is the crackled fondant effect which I have been wanting to try for some time now.  My mom loves lavender so I wanted to include that as part of the flower arrangement.  It and the little purple filler flowers are made from gumpaste and everything else is wafer paper.  I treated myself to Stevie Auble's book "Wafer Paper Cakes: Modern Cake Designs and Techniques for Wafer Paper Flowers and More" and that is where the patterns came from for the anemone, paper roses and rose leaves.  My first time trying them all and while they were time consuming to cut out, they were quite easy to assemble.  The bottom tier is the actual cake which was mocha chocolate cake with an Irish coffee cheesecake center, chocolate ganache in between the layers and then all iced with SMBC.  The cake was a hit with everyone and the biggest complement was that at first mom didn't even realize that I made the flowers, she thought I had bought them.

kstevens Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 28

kstevens Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 28

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 28

Both of your cakes are gorgeous, Kelly!  Your teapot is perfect!  I have one shaped the same, but a different color.

Your mom's cake is absolutely wonderful!  This is what you call a last minute, just a "C"?!!  Good gracious, woman, it is a masterpiece and your flowers are lovely!

kstevens Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 5:08pm
post #19 of 28

@SandraSmiley thank you so much for your kind words.  My initial plan was to make mom a 3D carousel horse (as she's always loved them) but I didn't go shopping for supplies early enough to get the structure built in time.  I still wanted a "wow" cake so then thought maybe a 3D orca (plan B).  She's always been interested in killer whales but with really only one full night to work on it I was scared I wouldn't get it done without staying up all night and I knew my back couldn't take it.  I threw together a sketch on Fri for the floral cake (plan C) knowing if worse came to worse I could very quickly make some less realistic looking wafer paper flowers.  Thankfully though, the flowers went together quickly once I had them cut out and I had them all made Sat night.  Sun morning I just had to assemble the actual cake and then stack the dummies on top and mom has no idea that this isn't the cake I had planned all along.

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Apr 2018 , 11:41pm
post #20 of 28

Mother's Day is coming, Kelly.  Start on your carousel cake now and your mom will be blown away because she will not be expecting a cake!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 5:28am
post #21 of 28

Oh I love the teapot!!  Especially the handle! It looks so real!

Marian64 Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 10:34am
post #22 of 28

@B.E.Sweetcakes great job on your cake.

@me_me1 both of your cakes are beautiful.

@kstevens love the teapot it looks like one I saw in a tea shop recently. Your plan C cake for your mom is beautiful. 

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 3:32pm
post #23 of 28

Sorry so late with the replies but it's been really busy! This was my big one for the weekend- it's not very often that you actually get to work ON a Bridezilla cake instead of WITH a Bridezilla. :) It was such a fun couple and I loved making all the details. I also got to use my logo for the cake shop, so that was pretty cool!

Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18Friday Night Cake Club For 4/20/18

sylly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sylly Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 3:45pm
post #24 of 28

Loved all of the cakes this week! Congrats, Carla83, on your first wedding success! I love the naked cake style- I hope it sticks around a little longer!

@sweettherapy-  you nailed the colors and the little characters! So much fun in this design!

@marion64, very rustic! This is also one of those that I hope stays around for a while- I love making the grooves and see how unique it turns out every time!

@B E Sweetcakes-wow! It looks amazing with the smooth icing- great detail on your cigars! I love how two of them already have ash on the ends :)

@me_me1 - I would love to see a tutorial on that palette knife- type of cake-- so stunning and grandiose- I am just crazy about it! 

@kstevens- you really nailed it! wow- the teapot is just amazing, all the way down to the 'wood' board. And the wafer paper flowers are perfect! I keep saying that I want to make those white ones and never take the time to try- I think I have to now! 

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 5:07pm
post #25 of 28

Sylly, your Bridezilla cracks me up!  This so funny and well done.  We are probably familiar with the species!  

kstevens Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 5:58pm
post #26 of 28

@SandraSmiley Mother's day would be a good opportunity to make the carousel horse cake but at the same time not.  I do make some sort of mini cake or cookies every year for the moms but to do the carousel horse I think it would just be too big/too much cake for my mom at one time.  I guess an option would be to do a mini cake and then do a carousel horse figure on top?  I'm really bad though for having a vision and then not settling on anything less so the 3D carousel horse "needs" to happen at some point! lol

@sylly your cake is awesome!! Love it!  So far as the wafer paper flowers go, I am now hooked!  They can be time consuming to cut out but are so easy to assemble (for me at least) compared to using gumpaste.  I am definitely trying other flowers once I have the time.

SandraSmiley Posted 24 Apr 2018 , 6:03pm
post #27 of 28

kstevens, I think I maybe a little psychotic when it comes to cake decorating.  I have a vague notion of what I want....maybe....but mostly I just wing it.  I hold things up to see how they look.  If I like them, they stay.

Marian64 Posted 25 Apr 2018 , 10:49am
post #28 of 28

@sylly love your cake and your bridezilla is amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%