Transporting Chilled Cake (Two Tiers - Unstacked)

Baking By KateCoughlin Updated 20 Apr 2018 , 1:06pm by -K8memphis

KateCoughlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateCoughlin Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 4

I haven't done this in a while but if memory serves correct SMBC always takes a looooong time to soften after it's been in the fridge overnight.  I have to transport a large cake this weekend for a baby shower.  Finished it will be a 6-layer 10" round bottom tier and 8-layer 8" round top tier.  I will fill and decorate the cakes using my usual SMBC recipe the night before.  I always refrigerate the finished cakes (unstacked) overnight (about 8hrs) so they will be nice and firm during transportation (45min drive).  The cake would be served around 1pm on Sunday.  I plan to remove the cakes around 8am that morning and begin transporting around 10am.  I know they will still be very firm even after 2hrs of being out.  I'll reach the venue just before 11am.  There I will stack the cakes, setup display, and make any final touches.  Do you think after 5 total hours of defrosting that my cakes will be soft enough to eat?  Any tips or tricks?  In the end I'd always rather cutting into a cake that's on the cool side versus arriving with a smashed cake in my truck.  If it makes a difference the cake is red velvet.  Thanks in advance!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2018 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 4

only observation i have is that -- i don't take my cakes out of the fridge until the minute i put them in the car

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 20 Apr 2018 , 4:15am
post #3 of 4

I usually travel with my bottom two tiers already stacked, and then pop on the final tier or two (or however many) at the venue. I travel with my cakes as chilled as possible, I don't take them out of the fridge until the rest of the cake kit is in the car and I am ready to go. I usually only use SMBC too and mine is starting to soften up by the time I get to any venue in my city (usually a 30min journey whichever way I go as I'm fairly central), despite the a/c being on full blast. I'd probably aim to arrive around 9-10am with fully chilled cakes, stack and do any final decorations then.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2018 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 4

all of my cakes are boxed and they stay cold on the ride in the corrugated cardboard moving boxes -- earlier on i depended on the car's air conditioning -- but what if there's a traffic jam or the car starts to over heat -- y'know 10,000 different things could happen that would not affect the cake's deilvery if if it is kept cold and protected -- but it could melt otherwise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%