Delivery Fees For Home Based Business

Business By tiffanyleanne Updated 7 Apr 2018 , 4:53am by whatthedogate

tiffanyleanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanyleanne Posted 5 Apr 2018 , 1:20am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys!

So I live in the Los Angeles area and have recieved my cottage food license! I'm currently setting my prices and policies and am struggling with delivery. I have been doing quite a bit of research and fees seem to be all over the board. I want to charge for my time and gas but I don't want to charge my customers too much if their order is only 2 dozen cookies for example and be charging more than my competitors. I also am unsure about charging because delivery is usually a special service, but since I am home based, customers cannot pick up. So delivery would not really be special anymore because that would just be a standard service for everyone. I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on the matter! 

Thanks!

Tiffany

8 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Apr 2018 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 9

Why can’t you have the customers pick up there orders at your house?? Is it because you want your privacy? Does it make you feel uncomfortable? I’m a hobby baker, but I’ve made several paid cakes for friends of friends and family. All picked up at my home. A few exceptions are wedding cakes that I delivered as the cakes needed setting up. My only other solution is meeting at a coffee shop, or something similar to exchange goods and receive payment. Or meeting somewhere, preferably with lots of people around for safety, half way between where you live and the customer lives to deliver and receive payment.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 6 Apr 2018 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 9

I believe the standard delivery fee is $1 per mile EACH WAY. Since no two people are going to be the same distance away, you can't charge a set amount for all deliveries.

I can understand not wanting random people knowing where you live, but that kinda defeats the intent of the Cottage Food Law in the first place. It's supposed to be about selling to neighbors/family/friends - - people you know. I guess it all depends on whether the "no pickup" thing is your preference or if it's a legal thing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2018 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 9

I think that $1 per mile is outdated.  It costs much more than that these days.  Here in central CA the ocst of gas is close to $4 per gal. then you have oil, wear & tear, tire expense etc, etc.  I agree using a per mile charge is a fair way to go but I'd put it closer to $2.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Apr 2018 , 1:20am
post #5 of 9

I agree with June.  Everyone I know who sells cakes, and they are all home based bakers, have pick up from their homes.  I also agree with Kakeladi, $2.00 sounds a lot more reasonable.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Apr 2018 , 2:10am
post #6 of 9

A delivery costs TIME and MONEY. You need to be compensated for both. If I sold a $1,000 cake, free delivery may be worth it. For 2 dozen cookies, not so much. 

Policy may read, "Orders over $100 are delivered free to one address, within 10 miles (per google maps). Each additional mile is $X". Just an example....

johnson6ofus Posted 7 Apr 2018 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

PS. Don't you have to actually disclose the address where it was baked under the cottage food license?

johnson6ofus Posted 7 Apr 2018 , 2:15am
post #8 of 9

OK...curiosity got the best of me.  http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/docs/WhatsNew/fdbCFOlabel.pdf

Looks like your address has to be on the label or listed in the current telephone directory. Privacy may be dead/ mute point. 

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 7 Apr 2018 , 4:53am
post #9 of 9

I think maybe the neighbors might not want cars coming in and out. Zoning laws! Also maybe the location may have to be ADA accessible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%