Painting On Fondant Question

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 5 Apr 2018 , 6:14pm by kakeladi

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 11:28am
post #1 of 10

Good Morning,

I am doing a baby shower cake for Thursday.  I'm making little flat figures out of fondant that will go in the cake and I need to "paint" them.  I know that it is necessary to mix vodka with gel color in order for it to dry correctly.  I don't have vodka on hand, can I use everclear?  Should I paint the fondant figures while the fondant is still soft, or wait until it dries?  The fondant will go on the cake dry, as I want it to stand off of the cake and not conform to it.

Thank you,
Christina

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 10

everclear is better than vodka imo -- no worries there -- and paint after they dry so the surface doesn't yield when you brush it --

sounds like fun -- best to you

mrsmac888 Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you K8memphis!  I'll give it a go with the everclear...  :-)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 10

Exactly as -K8memphis said (of course!).  You can also use any clear extract, like lemon or almond to mix your paints.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 10

To add to what Sandra said, look at all your extracts to see what the alchol content is - some as much as 14%.   I had a sis-in-law who couldn't have any alchol (and a customer who was early on in his AAA recovery).   I learned to check that out.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 10

and even when we cook with it -- some alcohol remains is what I have read -- although that does go against the usual belief -- so there's that -- and it does stay on a bit in the paint too --

mrsmac888 Posted 4 Apr 2018 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 10

These items on my cake won't be eaten, so no worries with the alcohol.   I used the everclear, and it worked great!  Thank you for the tip on waiting for the fondant to dry a bit.  That helped a lot!  I had made the pieces yesterday and I don't think they were quite dry .., the color "bled" out from my lines a bit.  I remade them today and it worked beautifully!

As always, you ladies are the BOMB!

Thank you!
C~

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2018 , 12:08am
post #8 of 10

you're very welcome -- glad it turned out so good

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Apr 2018 , 1:39am
post #9 of 10

You are very welcome!  Happy it worked for you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Apr 2018 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 10

Always glad to hear when our advice works/helps out someone.  That's what we are here for - to help each other out.  There is no dumb question.  If you don't know the answer/how to do something  just ask!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%